Why an Iguana Needs Lighting
First off, your iguana will depend on the source of UVB that it gets to help it to synthesize Vitamin D. Without Vitamin D, they can't take in and use the calcium they get. In fact, their bodies turn against them and will get the calcium from their bone structure when it doesn't get enough or can't use enough in other means.
When that happens, your pet iguana will not be able to actually maintain his health. The bone structure can become weakened. What's worse is that he will likely suffer from one or more illnesses including malnutrition. The end result is a sick iguana that will die before he should have.
The very best way to get this source of UVB is directly from the sun. That sounds easy, but there are several things you have to keep in mind when you consider this method of providing UVB.
First, just putting your pet near a window is not nearly enough. The glass of the window pane will filter out most of the UVB lighting. In addition, opening the window isn't enough either, because mesh screens or any type of blocking between your iguana and the sun is going to filter out too much of the all important UVB lighting.
But, you can create a second habitat, a sun basking habitat outdoors if you like. If you decide to do this route, you'll need to make sure it is done carefully. For most, this will allow you to place your pet outdoors for a few hours to absorb the right amount of UVB lighting.
But, remember these things when building or placing your pet in an outdoor sun basking location.
The outdoor temperature should be no longer than 80 degrees. Anything lower is not safe for your iguana to be exposed to.
Don't allow the iguana to be exposed to more than 100 degrees of heat, either.
Insure that there is no possibility of anything getting into your pet's habitat to hurt them or that he can in some way find a way out. Unfortunately, birds and other animals will use him for dinner if you allow it. In addition, most iguanas that get out just once are never found again.
Provide supervision to the iguana any time that he is outdoors. Water is mandatory for your pet when outdoors. He can lose a lot of fluids basking in the sun. So, provide a cup full of clean water for him to drink from.
You must also provide him with an area that is shaded that he can hide in when you feels the need. Most iguanas will move in and out of the light as they need to.
The good news is that your pet only needs about an hour a day of this type of UVB light to fill its needs. As long as it is direct lighting, your pet will be set. Don't forget to provide this lighting, though.About the Author
Article source: Article-Dashboard.com
More ArticlesLighting Options For Iguanas
The first type of lighting your iguana needs is that of UVA. This is the same type of light that you use. Your body uses UVA just the same. (more)Lighting an Iguana Home
The lighting plays an important role in the care of your pet. You'll need to carefully monitor the amount of light he gets. The different kind of lighting to an iguana home. (more)Related Articles
- The Pictures Of Iguanas
- Where You Can Buy an Iguana Habitat
- Healthy Giant Iguana
- Iguanas Care - Essential Component Of Iguana Care
- How To Plan Iguana Habitat
- Types of Iguana Nests
- How To Heat Iguana Habitat
- Facts about the Red Iguanas
- Different Types of Iguana Habitats
- Building an Iguana Enclosure
- The Information about the Male Iguana
- How to Pick a Healthy Iguana
- How to Care for Pet Iguanas
- What Is a Rhinoceros Iguana
- Tips on Proper Iguana Lizard Care
- Proper Nutrition For Your Iguana
- How to Care for Baby Iguanas
- Mercury Vapors For Iguanas
- Some Facts about Desert Iguana
- The Basic Of Iguana Care
- Taking Care of a Green Iguana
- How to Clean Your Iguana Habitat
- Housing and Feeding Iguanas - Iguana Pet
- More Information about the Red Iguanas
- How to Train Your Iguana
- Caring for the Iguana Cantina
- Iguana Cages - Your Iguana Cage Guide
- Interesting Facts about Baby Iguanas
- The Different Types of Iguanas
- The Facts about Desert Iguana
- Different Kinds of UVA for Iguanas
- Are You Ready for an Iguana Pet
- The Floor Coverings For Iguanas
- Different Facts about Iguanas
In iguana's natural habitat, heat is necessary all day and most of the night. But, there is the need to drop the temperature on them at this point too. For iguana's lighting times are key. (more)What You Need to Know about Iguanas Ecology
Iguanas, specially the wild ones are crucial part of the ecosystem; a slight change in the population of Iguanas in the wild can harm the total balance of the ecosystem. So when setting up your own pet house you need to know things about the proper iguana ecology so that it can feel comfortable in your captivity. (more)How You Can Build an Iguana Habitat
What we suggest is that you do further research on the topic of building your own iguana habitat. You'll want to see examples of the actual habitats you can select from. This is a great way to get some ideas to choose from for your own design. (more)The Things that Taught You by Iguana Photos
Iguana photos while on the process of reproduction, lying of the eggs, and hatching are valuable especially if you take interest in having iguanas as pets. With the iguana photos, you will be able to learn a lot and thus gain important insights on how .. (more)Iguana Care
If you intend to pick an iguana to be your pet, it is important to get the iguana that looks active and alert. For starters, the iguana can be kept in a tank that measures about 30 to 50 gallons. (more)
- How To Feed Iguana
- Facts about the Rhinoceros Iguanas
- The Tips on Getting the Cage for Iguana
- How to Feed Albino Iguana
- Where to Find Information about Iguanas and Lizards
- Why Iguanas Like to Climb
- The Temperature in Your Iguana Home
- Interesting Facts about Iguanas
- What is the Marine Iguana
- Setting Up Iguana Habitats
- The Information on Iguanas
- How to Get Acquainted With the Green Iguanas
- Health Is Also the Wealth of Your Pet Iguana
- Significant Insights about the Iguana
- Iguanas Lizards Photos
- Setting Up Iguana Home
- Some Issues about Iguana Food
- The Tips and Tricks in Building Iguana Cage
- The Facts about Iguanas
- The Myths about Green Iguana