Why an Iguana Needs Lighting
First off, your iguana will depend on the source of UVB that it gets to help it to synthesize Vitamin D. Without Vitamin D, they can't take in and use the calcium they get. In fact, their bodies turn against them and will get the calcium from their bone structure when it doesn't get enough or can't use enough in other means.
When that happens, your pet iguana will not be able to actually maintain his health. The bone structure can become weakened. What's worse is that he will likely suffer from one or more illnesses including malnutrition. The end result is a sick iguana that will die before he should have.
The very best way to get this source of UVB is directly from the sun. That sounds easy, but there are several things you have to keep in mind when you consider this method of providing UVB.
First, just putting your pet near a window is not nearly enough. The glass of the window pane will filter out most of the UVB lighting. In addition, opening the window isn't enough either, because mesh screens or any type of blocking between your iguana and the sun is going to filter out too much of the all important UVB lighting.
But, you can create a second habitat, a sun basking habitat outdoors if you like. If you decide to do this route, you'll need to make sure it is done carefully. For most, this will allow you to place your pet outdoors for a few hours to absorb the right amount of UVB lighting.
But, remember these things when building or placing your pet in an outdoor sun basking location.
The outdoor temperature should be no longer than 80 degrees. Anything lower is not safe for your iguana to be exposed to.
Don't allow the iguana to be exposed to more than 100 degrees of heat, either.
Insure that there is no possibility of anything getting into your pet's habitat to hurt them or that he can in some way find a way out. Unfortunately, birds and other animals will use him for dinner if you allow it. In addition, most iguanas that get out just once are never found again.
Provide supervision to the iguana any time that he is outdoors. Water is mandatory for your pet when outdoors. He can lose a lot of fluids basking in the sun. So, provide a cup full of clean water for him to drink from.
You must also provide him with an area that is shaded that he can hide in when you feels the need. Most iguanas will move in and out of the light as they need to.
The good news is that your pet only needs about an hour a day of this type of UVB light to fill its needs. As long as it is direct lighting, your pet will be set. Don't forget to provide this lighting, though.About the Author
Article source: Article-Dashboard.com
More ArticlesHow Iguana Can Bask in the Sunlight
In iguana's natural habitat, heat is necessary all day and most of the night. But, there is the need to drop the temperature on them at this point too. For iguana's lighting times are key. (more)Lighting an Iguana Home
The lighting plays an important role in the care of your pet. You'll need to carefully monitor the amount of light he gets. The different kind of lighting to an iguana home. (more)Related Articles
- Interesting Facts about Baby Iguanas
- How To Clean Iguana Habitat
- Taking Care of a Green Iguana
- The Things that Taught You by Iguana Photos
- How To Plan Iguana Habitat
- Tips and Tricks for Building Iguana Cage
- Build an Iguana Habitat
- How to Care for Pet Iguanas
- Different Kinds of UVA for Iguanas
- Why Iguanas Like to Climb
- Types of Iguana Nests
- Iguana Care
- Some Issues about Iguana Food
- About the Rhinoceros Iguanas
- Different Types of Iguana Habitats
- How to Pick a Healthy Iguana
- How to Care for Baby Iguanas
- What You Need to Know about Iguanas Ecology
- Different Facts about Iguanas
- The Facts about Desert Iguana
- Housing and Feeding Iguanas - Iguana Pet
- The Puerto Vallarta Iguanas
- Caring for the Iguana Cantina
- Interesting Facts about Iguanas
- Are You Ready for an Iguana Pet
- Iguana Facts - The Facts about Iguanas
- Where to Find Information about Iguanas and Lizards
- Building an Iguana Enclosure
- The Floor Coverings For Iguanas
- Setting Up Iguana Home
- Significant Insights about the Iguana
- Iguanas Care - Essential Component Of Iguana Care
- The Temperature in Iguana Home
- Facts about Desert Iguana
The first type of lighting your iguana needs is that of UVA. This is the same type of light that you use. Your body uses UVA just the same. (more)The Information about the Male Iguana
In essence, a male iguana looks and acts in a different way compared to a female iguana. In terms of territorial behavior, a male iguana will fight tooth and nail with other male iguanas even if their life is at risk. (more)Proper Nutrition For Your Iguana
Reptiles are of different kinds. Iguanas are just one of those that belong to the largest species of lard family. Iguanas are commonly seen in tropical rain forests, hot deserts and semi-aquatic places. (more)Pictures Of Iguanas
Iguanas belong to the family of lizards. Like most reptiles, iguanas belong to the cold-blooded animals whose body temperature changes with the temperature of the air or water around it that is why iguanas have .. (more)Mercury Vapors For Iguanas
When using mercury vapor lamps, you'll want to really pay attention to how you use them. Follow the directions provided for their use carefully. Providing enough heat and light to your iguana should be your main goal. (more)
- What is the Marine Iguana
- What Is a Rhinoceros Iguana
- Iguana Cages - Your Iguana Cage Guide
- How to Heat Your Iguana Habitat
- The Iguanas Lizards Photos
- Setting Up Iguana Habitats
- More Information about the Red Iguanas
- The Myths about Green Iguana
- How to Get Acquainted With the Green Iguanas
- The Basic Of Iguana Care
- Health Is Also the Wealth of Your Pet Iguana
- How To Feed Iguana
- Tips on Proper Iguana Lizard Care
- Different Types of Iguanas
- Train an Iguana Pet
- How to Feed Albino Iguana
- Tips on Getting the Cage for Iguana
- The Healthy Giant Iguana
- The Information on Iguanas
- The Facts about the Red Iguanas