Proper Nutrition For Your Iguana
Reptiles are of different kinds. Iguanas are just one of those that belong to the largest species of lard family. Iguanas are commonly seen in tropical rain forests, hot deserts and semi-aquatic places. From the forests of North America, Canada and South America to the desert places of South Africa and Madagascar and Island of Galapagos, you will be able to see different types of iguanas.
Iguanas can easily adapt to their environment. Like other reptiles, iguanas are also egg-laying animals and cold-blooded, meaning they cannot produce heat from their body.
Different Iguanas has its unique ability to be able to become accustomed to their habitat. They have their unique skills. Iguanas that dwell in high trees for instance, can jump off the ground without having injuries. In addition, iguanas in Galapagos Island, the Amblyrhynchus cristatus, known as the marine iguana are good swimmer.
The species of iguana differ in their color, size, behavior and their extinction status in the wild. Some iguanas have vivid and bright colors, and others are dull. Most iguanas grows quickly, a hundred times heavier as their normal size as a hatchling in just about 24-30 months. But this would happen if they are given proper care, enough food, and a place with good air circulation and lots of sunlight.
Most iguanas are herbivores while some are omnivore or carnivore depending on their habitat. Terrestrial dwellers are carnivore, they eat mealworms and wax worms while the forest and tree dwellers are herbivores, eats young leaves, flower buds and fruits.
Proper feeding of iguanas is important. Sufficient food intake might lead to bloating, and obesity. In addition, lack of proper diet may also lead to some diseases. Cases like these are very usual so you must be prepared whatever happened to your pet.
If your iguana is showing signs of NSHP or MBD you must bring your pet to a veterinarian. Your iguana is suffering from Nutritional Secondary Hyperparathyrodism or a metabolic bone disease. It doesn't mean that your iguana is unhealthy if it is oversized or fat. Proper diet must be given. Provide your iguana with a high calcium and low phosphorus diet. Also, always make sure that your pet gets a proper sunlight.
If you're iguana body seem to be bony and fat and jaws seem to be swollen, your iguana is in the critical stage of NHSP or MBD. This would lead to brittle bones that cause deformities and fractures.
To avoid this to happen give your iguana proper diet, exercise and should maintain a good weight but not becoming overweight. It is also necessary for a fat iguana to obtain the needed calcium or phosphorus ratio for a healthy bone.
How will you know if your Iguana is growing properly?
Hatchling usually measures for about two and a half to three and a half inches snout to vent. When it reaches and emerges from the egg it grows three-quarters of an inch a month for almost three months. The growth of young iguanas slows to a half when it is three months old with a snout to vent of five and three-quarter inches. Iguana reaches for about 9-10 inches stout to vent in just one year.
The growth of your iguana in this stage is very fast. During its twelve to fifteen months, it will grow for about triple of its original length. The growth length of iguana slows radically as the iguana continues to grow for next years. This time give your iguana a proper diet so that it would not get bigger and bigger.About the Author
Article source: Article-Dashboard.com
More ArticlesInformation about the Male Iguana
In essence, a male iguana looks and acts in a different way compared to a female iguana. In terms of territorial behavior, a male iguana will fight tooth and nail with other male iguanas even if their life is at risk. (more)Interesting Facts about Iguanas
They are better suited to eating plants - some sources still continue to say that iguanas are omnivores. To say that iguanas will benefit from eating both plant and animal products would be mistake. This is because the metabolism of the iguana is better suited to absorbing plant proteins. (more)Related Articles
- Green Iguana Care
- Some Facts about Desert Iguana
- Healthy Iguana
- The Floor Coverings For Iguanas
- The Significant Insights about the Iguana
- Facts about the Rhinoceros Iguanas
- How Iguana Can Bask in the Sunlight
- Iguanas Care - Essential Component Of Iguana Care
- The Temperature in Iguana Home
- What Is a Rhinoceros Iguana
- How to Get Acquainted With the Green Iguanas
- What You Need to Know about Iguanas Ecology
- The Basic Of Iguana Care
- The Myths about Green Iguana
- What is the Marine Iguana
- Where to Find Information about Iguanas and Lizards
- Information about the Red Iguanas
- The Facts about Iguanas
- How to Care for Baby Iguanas
- How to Care for Pet Iguanas
- Building an Iguana Enclosure
- The Things that Taught You by Iguana Photos
- Health Is Also the Wealth of Your Pet Iguana
- The Types of Iguana Nests
- The Puerto Vallarta Iguanas
- Pictures Of Iguanas
- Train an Iguana Pet
- The Tips and Tricks in Building Iguana Cage
- Interesting Facts about Baby Iguanas
- Tips on Proper Iguana Lizard Care
- Housing and Feeding Iguanas - Iguana Pet
- Iguana Cages - Your Iguana Cage Guide
- The Information on Iguanas
- The Healthy Giant Iguana
What we suggest is that you do further research on the topic of building your own iguana habitat. You'll want to see examples of the actual habitats you can select from. This is a great way to get some ideas to choose from for your own design. (more)How to Clean Your Iguana Habitat
Your iguana's habitat also needs to be sanitized. That means that everything in there, including the floors, walls, climbing structure...everything. You also have to keep you clean. (more)Iguanas Lizards Photos
There are some important things you have to consider when housing an iguana. These tips usually come with iguanas lizards photos to make the discussion more interesting and clear to the readers. (more)Some Issues about Iguana Food
Feeding an iguana has a lot of issues involved and a good iguana owner should learn as much as possible about these issues. Here is a guide to help you with some of the issues surrounding iguana food. (more)How To Plan Iguana Habitat
Does it sound like there is a lot to plan on when it comes to your iguana habitat? There is, but remember that this is a one time thing. Once you have your iguana habitat built, if you've built one large enough, you won't have to worry about doing it again. (more)
- Facts about the Red Iguanas
- The Tips on Getting the Cage for Iguana
- How To Feed Iguana
- Setting Up Iguana Habitats
- Why Iguanas Like to Climb
- The Different Kind of Lighting to an Iguana Home
- The Different Kinds of UVA for Iguanas
- Different Facts about Iguanas
- How to Feed Albino Iguana
- Different Types of Iguana Habitats
- Lighting Options For Iguanas
- Iguana Care
- How To Heat Iguana Habitat
- Different Types of Iguanas
- Iguanas Mercury Vapors
- Where You Can Buy an Iguana Habitat
- Caring for the Iguana Cantina
- Setting Up Iguana Home
- Are You Ready for an Iguana Pet
- Why an Iguana Needs Lighting