How to Feed Your Iguana
There are many aspects of caring for your iguana that you still need to take into consideration, even after building your habitat. Let's break them down here.
Iguanas are very delicate animals and part of that comes from their dietary needs. But, it will be up to you to determine what the right foods for your iguana are based on his tastes and your needs. But, we'll break it down for you too.
Don't be fooled by myths. Iguanas eat plants, not any type of insect or animal. If they do ingest this it is only by accident. They are herbivores! Don't make the mistake of feeding your iguana any type of animal protein.
As for what you should do, there are several things you'll need to take into consideration. First, anything that you give your pet should be clean, healthy and sterile. Fresh food and water is a must for you and so is it for them. You'll have an unhealthy living environment with a sick iguana if you allow them to drink dirty water.
You should feed your iguana daily. Give him clean water several times per day, too. Although you may hear that you don't have to do this, it is imperative to provide your pet with fresh food daily and allow him to eat as much as he wants.
Don't worry about over feeding them. They can't be overfed. But, how much; give them food and let them eat. You'll soon be able to tell just how much is too much and how much he wants. As he gets bigger, his appetite will grow, too. Feed him in the morning, after he's waken for the best, all day temperature aided digestion he needs.
Water is a funny thing with iguanas. In fact, you should train them to drink more water. To do this, use a highly enjoyed piece of lettuce, such as collards, and place a small amount of it in their water bowl. When he eats it, he'll take in water too. Soon, make the piece smaller and smaller until he is coming to the bowl to drink water rather than to eat the treat.
One thing that is important in feeding your iguana is the amount of calcium to phosphorus that they get. Its called the Calcium to phosphorus ratio or Ca:P. You want this ratio to be 2 to 1. Most foods are high in one but low in the other of these. Remember, a variety of foods is perfect for the iguana so keeping this in mind, feed him a diet of variety that provides a 2 to 1 ratio in these elements.
At least 40 percent of their diet should be made up of foods like turnip greens, collards, dandelion, water cress, and escarole.
Another 40 percent of their diets should provide vegetables like green beans, mushrooms, bell peppers, squashes, peas, parsnips, okra, alfalfa, sweet potatoes and carrots.
Keep this to less than ten percent of their diets and it can include foods like raspberries, mango, fig, apples, bananas, papaya, or melons.
Don't give more than five percent of this but it can come from alfalfa pellets or other commercial brands.
Less than five percent of their food can come from grains such as cooked rice and pasta, whole wheat breads of others.
There are other foods that should never be given to your iguana. Those include any type of insect or animal protein, any type of dairy product, no eggs, no type of other animal pet foods, no rhubarb. Some foods can be given but only sparingly such as foods that contain citrus, lettuce leaves, or tofu.About the Author
Article source: Article-Dashboard.com
More ArticlesHow to Feed Albino Iguana
One of the most crucial factors in an Albino Iguana's survival is food. So being the owner, you must appropriately feed it with the right food. (more)Housing and Feeding Iguanas - Iguana Pet
Guide to Housing and Feeding Iguanas. The iguana has a reputation of being as an easy pet to take care of, which requires low costs and minimum treatment. Believing in this myth causes hundreds and even thousands of iguanas to die every year as a result of inadequate treatment. Taking care of an iguana may be less demanding than keeping a dog, but iguanas do require special feeding and housing conditions. (more)Related Articles
- The Temperature in Your Iguana Home
- The Tips on Getting the Cage for Iguana
- Why Iguanas Like to Climb
- The Facts about the Red Iguanas
- The Facts about Iguanas
- The Essential Component Of Iguana Care
- Myths about Green Iguana
- More Information about the Red Iguanas
- How to Clean Your Iguana Habitat
- Tips and Tricks for Building Iguana Cage
- The Puerto Vallarta Iguanas
- The Pictures Of Iguanas
- Information about the Male Iguana
- Different Types of Iguanas
- Tips on Proper Iguana Lizard Care
- What is the Marine Iguana
- The Information on Iguanas
- How to Care for Baby Iguanas
- Green Iguana Care
- What You Need to Know about Iguanas Ecology
- Significant Insights about the Iguana
- How to Plan Your Iguana Habitat
- Facts about the Rhinoceros Iguanas
- Proper Nutrition For Your Iguana
- How to Care for Pet Iguanas
- How to Get Acquainted With the Green Iguanas
- Desert Iguanas - Facts about Desert Iguana
- Basic of Iguana Care
- Different Facts about Iguanas
- How Iguana Can Bask in the Sunlight
- Lighting an Iguana Home
- Why an Iguana Needs Lighting
- Different Types of Iguana Habitats
- Healthy Giant Iguana
The iguanas are among the most well-known reptiles which are often purchased from the leading pet shops all over United States. The iguana can grow in almost any type of climate and.. (more)Setting Up Iguana Home
Once you've selected the materials for your habitat, the next thing you'll need to pay attention to is that of venting it. Ventilation is important for any living animal, as you can imagine. Setting up your iguana home. (more)The Different Kinds of UVA for Iguanas
The best way to provide this is through the habitat's basking area. The lighting source that you use there can be used for UVB light needs.The Different Kinds of UVA for Iguanas. (more)How You Can Build an Iguana Habitat
What we suggest is that you do further research on the topic of building your own iguana habitat. You'll want to see examples of the actual habitats you can select from. This is a great way to get some ideas to choose from for your own design. (more)The Iguanas Lizards Photos
There are some important things you have to consider when housing an iguana. These tips usually come with iguanas lizards photos to make the discussion more interesting and clear to the readers. (more)
- Setting Up Your Iguana Habitats
- Interesting Facts about Iguanas
- Mercury Vapors For Iguanas
- Building an Iguana Enclosure
- Iguana Cages - Your Iguana Cage Guide
- The Basic Of Iguana Care
- Other Lighting Options For Iguanas
- Where to Find Information about Iguanas and Lizards
- Health Is Also the Wealth of Your Pet Iguana
- Are You Ready for an Iguana Pet
- About Iguana Food
- How to Feed Your Dog Treats
- Train an Iguana Pet
- What Is a Rhinoceros Iguana
- The Floor Coverings For Iguanas
- The Things that Taught You by Iguana Photos
- A General Overview of Feeding Horses
- How To Heat Iguana Habitat
- Facts about Desert Iguana
- Feeding Your Exotic Pet