Pet and animal games online - play free pet games.
Exotic pets for sale - sell / buy exotic pets online.
The Different Types of Iguanas
Iguanas basically belong to the lizard family called Iguanidae. Their most common characteristics include elongated tails, eyelids and four rambling legs. Like most reptiles all types of iguanas are cold blooded and can reach a life span of up to 20 years.
Iguanas are naturally found in Mexico and The Central and Southern part of the Americas and some are found in the Lesser Antilles Islands, Hawaii, Florida and California.
Most type of iguanas are arboreal which can be found on living on trees but some also inhabits the desserts, rocky terrains and even near sea side caves which are called the marine iguanas.
There are basically eight types of iguanas within the Iguanidae family. The Genus Cyrclura, Genus Amblyrhyncus, Genus Conolophus, Genus Ctenosauria, Genus Dipsosaurus, Genus Sauromalus, Genus Brachylophus.
The Genus Cyrclura is also commonly known as the rock iguana which can be in most parts of the Caribbean Islands, these types of iguana are under the protection of endangered species so they are scarcely sold or traded but if ever you find one on a shop they are mostly captive bred.
These types of iguanas, the Genus Amblyrhyncus are known as the marine iguanas or the Galapagos Marine Iguana.
These types of iguana is the most hard to be reserved in confinement for the reason that they feed on a diet which is basically close to impossible to produce commercially which is the Marine Algae.
Genus Conolophus, these are the closest relatives of the marine iguana. This type of iguana is also called the Galapagos Land Iguana they basically feed on plants and cactus.
Genus Ctenosauria this are mainly called the spiny tailed iguanas and are native to Mexico and Central America. They are small compared to other iguanas because they can only grow from 5 inches up to 35 inches.
The most outstanding feature of this creature is the large scales on its tail. They are grouped as omnivores which basically feed on fruits and flowers as well as small insects.
Genus Dipsosaurus consists of the dessert iguanas of the Southern America and Mexico. This kind of iguanas is full-bodied with an apex of elevated and expanded scales on its back.
They have cream to white colored bellies and are spotted with white dots and stripe colored tails. They can grow up to 15 inches long with a tail that is as twice as long as its body.
Genus Sauromalus is also known as the Chuckwalla which is a robust herbaceous iguana commonly found in United States and Mexico. These types of iguanas are strict vegetarians they confine themselves with eating only fruits, leaves and flowers.
Chuckwallas have skins that hang loosely on its fat body; they love heat and do not basically moves in the morning until the heat reaches a hundred degrees.
To shove of the extra heat they either change color to reflect the suns heat or hide in the shade. Chuckwallas is also good for captivity as a pet cause they do not move that much.
Lastly the Genus Brachylophus or known as the Fijian banded Iguana which is found in the island of Fiji and Tonga.
Iguanas nowadays are coined as endangered species and illegal possession of any types of iguanas is punishable by law so be sure that if you want an iguana as a pet, have it registered first in a legal process and consult some veterinarians for some advices and guidelines in preparing to adopt an Iguana.About the Author
Article source: Article-Dashboard.com
More ArticlesThe Types of Iguana Nests
There are the pros and cons too of having iguana nests and breeding the reptiles. For one, the breeding of the iguanas is such a wonderful thing to enjoy and experience. The mother iguana tries its best .. (more)Types of Iguana Habitats
Hiding places there are times when an iguana likes to be alone and unobserved. This means that you have to provide a suitable hiding place in your iguana habitat. (more)Related Articles
- Information about the Male Iguana
- How To Clean Iguana Habitat
- The Temperature in Your Iguana Home
- Iguana Cages - Your Iguana Cage Guide
- The Significant Insights about the Iguana
- How to Plan Your Iguana Habitat
- Where to Find Information about Iguanas and Lizards
- Why Iguanas Like to Climb
- Tips and Tricks for Building Iguana Cage
- Caring for the Iguana Cantina
- Other Lighting Options For Iguanas
- Iguana Facts - The Facts about Iguanas
- The Different Kinds of UVA for Iguanas
- How to Feed Albino Iguana
- Iguanas Mercury Vapors
- Desert Iguanas - Facts about Desert Iguana
- The Facts about the Red Iguanas
- Myths about Green Iguana
- Setting Up Iguana Habitats
- What Is a Rhinoceros Iguana
- Build an Iguana Habitat
- How Iguana Can Bask in the Sunlight
- Train an Iguana Pet
- Some Issues about Iguana Food
- Tips on Proper Iguana Lizard Care
- The Essential Component Of Iguana Care
- Some Facts about Desert Iguana
- Healthy Iguana
- Facts about the Rhinoceros Iguanas
- Interesting Facts about Baby Iguanas
- The Floor Coverings For Iguanas
- Setting Up Iguana Home
- Where You Can Buy an Iguana Habitat
- How to Heat Your Iguana Habitat
Some people are put off by the fact that iguana care can be very hard work. However, if you know the basics of food and shelter for iguanas, then iguana care can actually be quite easy. (more)Proper Nutrition For Your Iguana
Reptiles are of different kinds. Iguanas are just one of those that belong to the largest species of lard family. Iguanas are commonly seen in tropical rain forests, hot deserts and semi-aquatic places. (more)The Pictures Of Iguanas
Iguanas belong to the family of lizards. Like most reptiles, iguanas belong to the cold-blooded animals whose body temperature changes with the temperature of the air or water around it that is why iguanas have .. (more)Get Acquainted with the Green Iguanas
The green iguanas or those which take the name of Iguana iguana are commonly found all over the South and Central America, in Mexico, in the southeastern part of Brazil, eastern Pacific, and the Caribbean. (more)What You Need to Know about Iguanas Ecology
Iguanas, specially the wild ones are crucial part of the ecosystem; a slight change in the population of Iguanas in the wild can harm the total balance of the ecosystem. So when setting up your own pet house you need to know things about the proper iguana ecology so that it can feel comfortable in your captivity. (more)
- What is the Marine Iguana
- Types Of Dogs
- Types of dog training collars - affordable and highly effecient
- Taking Care of a Green Iguana
- How to Care for Pet Iguanas
- Information about the Red Iguanas
- Tips on Getting the Cage for Iguana
- Different Facts about Iguanas
- Different Type of Pet Insurance in The States
- Health Is Also the Wealth of Your Pet Iguana
- The Puerto Vallarta Iguanas
- Housing and Feeding Iguanas - Iguana Pet
- The Things that Taught You by Iguana Photos
- Different Types of Frogs and Toads
- Interesting Facts about Iguanas
- Different Type of Terrier Breeds
- Iguana Care
- The Different Kind of Lighting to an Iguana Home
- How to Feed Your Iguana
- Are You Ready for an Iguana Pet