Why Use a Dog Training School
It’s sometimes difficult, especially for long-time dog owners, to decide whether to use a dog training school for new canine members of the family. Most people will know enough to teach a dog some basic tricks and obedience commands. Many who have trained dogs before choose not to use a training school because they have had previous successes in dog training.
For the vast majority of dog owners, though, careful consideration must be given before deciding to train their dogs on their own and avoid dog training school. There are two aspects to dog training that are often underestimated. First, the amount of time it takes. Even if you use a dog training school, you need to put in a lot of time with your dog outside of classes. Dog training is definitely one of those things in life where, “the more you put into it, the more you get out of it.” While a dog training school doesn’t add too much to the time spent with your dog, the lessons learned can make the time you spend outside of class far more productive. As a rule of thumb, depending on your dog, its age and obedience level, you should be sure to spend at least some time everyday training your dog.
The other aspect of training a dog that is underestimated and can be helped by using a dog training school is how long it takes to train. Many people spend hours each day for a couple weeks and, once their dog is “going” outside, and responding to “sit”, all training is stopped. Unfortunately, dog training is an ongoing process and never really ends. On a more formal level, training should go on for at least many weeks, if not months. Again, the longer you actively train your dog, the more enjoyment you will get.
Even while there are aspects of dog training that are underestimated, it does not mean you can’t have a fairly well-trained dog – if all of your training goes perfectly well, which it most often doesn’t. A dog training school isn’t there to necessarily show your dog everything it needs to know and do to be well behaved, but more to put you and your dog on the right track to a long, loving relationship of mutual respect. The absence of formal dog training at a school can mean you never have the relationship you want with your pet.
The problem may never become apparent. Many dog owners adjust their lives to fit the habits and personality of their dogs, never really understanding that those changes are only necessary because of a lack of training.
A worse case can arise in the absence of training at a dog school when the owner’s training is wrong or misguided. Very often this can cause confusing conflict for dogs from which they might never emerge. One basic mistake many owners make is to not first establish who is boss while training. Dogs are pack animals and every pack has a leader and a “second in command” who, together, keep the pack organized and in line.
In the absence of a leader and/or second in command, it is a dog’s natural instinct to try to assume at least one of the roles. The implications of this instinct for dog owners who do not establish themselves as leader are complex. In their dog’s mind, an owner who is not clearly the leader of the pack is actually in competition with the dog to be leader. Imagine, the reason you have a difficult time training your dog is because it sees you as a rival for pack leader.
In these cases, training a dog is an exponentially more difficult because, not only do you still need to do the necessary training, you need to re-program your dog’s view of the world before you ever start to get anywhere – all because you didn’t use a dog training school.
Unfortunately, not all dog training schools are created equal and your first problem is finding the best one for you and your pet. Talk to your veterinarian, check internet forums and visit a few training schools and you will get an idea of what to look for.
Alpha Paws is a highly respected dog training school serving Toronto and the GTA.About the Author
Article source: Article-Dashboard.com
More ArticlesSome Tips on Training Your Dog
Training your dog is something that each and every owner of a pet has to associate with. You have to use time doing what requires to be done and carrying it out efficiently. Pet owners who do not train their animals .. (more)Basic Dog Training of a New Puppy
Bringing home a new puppy is always an exciting time for the entire family. Getting that new puppy off the right start with proper training is very important to making that puppy a valued member of his human family. (more)Related Articles
- Useful tips on using Dog Toys for Training your dog
- Super Dog Training Secrets Revealed
- Get Rid of the Neighbors' Complaints with the Efficient Dog Training Collars
- Learn to Train Your Dog
- Put an End to the Annoying Barking of Your Dog with the Electronic Dog Training Collar
- Start Training Your Dog by Winning His Respect and Confidence
- Dog Training Toronto
- Correct Any Kind of Upsetting Behavior with Dog Training Collars
- How to Use Positive Methods to Train Dogs
- Train Your Dog For Collar And Lead
- Types of Dog Training Collars - Affordable and Highly Effecient
- How to Do Dog Potty Training
- Train Your Dog to Using a Training Collar
- Dog House Training Tips
- House Training Your Dog
- Important Guide To Training Your Dog
- Training Your Dog To Eliminate Bad Habits
- Tips and Techniques to Train Your Dog
- Dog Training Devices
- Dog Training for Proper Dog Behavior
- Finding a Good School for Your Dog
- Dog and Puppy Toilet Training
- Dog Training - A Pro Reveals His Best Methods And Tips
- There are Many Ways to Train Your Dog
- Dog Potty Training - Learn How to Potty Train Your Dog
- What Makes Mammoth Dog Beds So Durable
- Dog Supplies - The Basics
- Why You Need To Use Glucosamines And Chondroitin For Dogs And Cats
- Kingdom of Pets - The Easy Way to Get Your Dog to Behave
- How to Teach Your Dog Proper Social Skills
- The Tools You Need for Dog Grooming
- Dogs and Dog supplies - Quality supply at sensible rates
- Weight Gains in Dog
- Make Your Dog Obey You
Training dogs using positive reinforcement and reward training has long been recognized as both highly effective for the owner and a positive experience for the dog. Positive reinforcement training is so important that it is the only method used to train .. (more)Use Reward Training To Train Your Dog
Reward training has indeed been made use of for many years to train dogs; it is a good method to teach dogs of a small size like Pomeranians that are too small to act in response to choke collars and other insensitive techniques of training. (more)Training Terrier Dogs
Most people think that training a dog is hard and expensive. Moreover, dog training requires a lot of patience and creativity for your dog. (more)Trainer Takes Life One Dog at a Time
When Bonnie Buchanan of North Carolina decided to open a training center for dogs in 1990, she had no idea that people from as far away as Japan would bring their pets to her door. (more)Learn about Clicker Training a Dog
If you are looking to train your dog you might consider using the 'clicker training' method, which has recently become popular amongst dog trainers all over the country. In this method the trainer has to make use of a clicker, .. (more)
- Train Your Cat with the Toilet
- Labrador Puppy Training
- The Collie Dog Can Be A Sporting Dog
- Training Cockatiels
- Bull Dog Terriers First Impressions
- Health Insurance for Dogs
- How to Notice Swelling in Dogs
- Puppy Training Pads
- Norfolk Terrier Dog as Pet
- The Special Needs Of A Hypoallergenic Dog
- Train an Iguana Pet
- All You Wanted to Know About Dog Grooming
- How to Keep Your Dog in Tip Top Shape
- About Foxhound Dog
- Boxer Puppy Training
- Why Are Dog Beds an Important Part of Dog Supplies
- What You Should Know About Dog Bites
- Not Just Walk Your Dog, Walk Your Cat
- Hypoallergenic Dog Food
- Interesting Information Regarding Cairn Terrier Pet Dogs