Training Your Dog To Eliminate Bad Habits
Anyone who owns a dog or puppy will eventually run into the need to eliminate unwanted habits. While most dogs are eager to please their owners and smart enough to do what is asked of them, it is important for the owner to properly communicate just what constitutes acceptable and unacceptable behaviors.
Each type of unacceptable behavior requires its own specific cures, and in most cases the cures will need to be tailored to fit the specific personality of the dog. Every breed of dog has its own unique personality characteristics, and every individual within that breed has his or her own unique personality.
Whining, howling and excessive barking
Let's start with one of the most frequently encountered problem behaviors in both dogs and puppies. While some barking and other vocalizing is perfectly normal, in many cases barking, howling and whining can become problematic. This is particularly important for those living in apartment buildings, or in closely spaced homes. Fielding complaints about barking is not the best way for you and your dog to meet the neighbors.
Some tips of dealing with excessive whining, barking and howling include:
* If your puppy or dog is howling or whining while confined to its crate, immediately take it to its toilet area. Most puppies and dogs will whine when they need to do their business.
* It is important to teach a dog or a puppy to accept being alone. Many dogs suffer from separation anxiety, and these stressed dogs can exhibit all sorts of destructive and annoying behaviors. It is important to accustom the puppy to being left on its own, even when the owner is at home.
* Always strive to make the puppy or dog as comfortable as possible. Always attend to the physical and psychological needs of the dog by providing food, water and toys.
* If the dog is whining, check for obvious reasons first. Is the water dish empty? Is the dog showing signs of illness? Has his or her favorite toy rolled under the furniture? Is the temperature of the room too hot or too cold?
* Do not reward the puppy or dog for whining. If the dog whines when left alone, for instance, it would be a mistake to go to the dog every time it whines.
* After you have ensured that the dog’s physical needs are being met, and that discomfort is not responsible for the whining, do not hesitate to reprimand the dog for inappropriate behavior.
Puppies naturally chew, and they tend to explore their world using their mouths and teeth. While chewing may be normal, however, it is not acceptable, and it is important to nip any chewing problems in the bud to prevent the chewing puppy from growing into a chewing dog.
Providing a variety of chew toys is important when teaching a puppy what is appropriate to chew and what is not. Providing a variety of attractive chew toys is a good way to keep the puppy entertained and to keep his teeth and gums exercised. Scented or flavored toys are great choices for most puppies.
The puppy should be encouraged to play with these chosen toys, and the puppy should be effusively praised every time he or she plays with or chews these toys.
Another great strategy is to encourage the puppy to get a toy every time he or she greets you. Every time the puppy greets you or a member of your family, teach him to get one of his toys.
It is also important to exercise good housekeeping techniques when training a puppy not to chew on inappropriate items. Keeping the area to which the puppy has access free and clean is important. Keeping items out of reach of the puppy will go a long way toward discouraging inappropriate chewing. Try to keep the puppy’s area free of shoes, trash, and other items, and always make sure that the area has been properly puppy proofed.
If the puppy does pick up an inappropriate item like a shoe, distract the puppy and quickly replace the item with one of its toys. After the puppy has taken the toy, praise it for playing with and chewing that toy.
Try booby trapping items the dog should avoid by spraying them with bitter apple, Tabasco sauce or other nasty but non-toxic items.About the Author
Article source: Article-Dashboard.com
More ArticlesTrain Your Dog to Using a Training Collar
There are many excellent training devices that can be used when training your dog. The most basic piece of equipment that every dog owner should own is a quality training collar. (more)Start Training Your Dog by Winning His Respect and Confidence
The basis of training any animal is winning its trust, confidence and respect. True training cannot begin until the animal has accepted you as its leader, respects you and entrusted you with his or her confidence. (more)Related Articles
- Some Tips on Training Your Dog
- How to Do Dog Potty Training
- Learn about Clicker Training a Dog
- Dog Training - A Pro Reveals His Best Methods And Tips
- About Dog House Training
- Use Reward Training To Train Your Dog
- Use a Dog Training School
- Put an End to the Annoying Barking of Your Dog with the Electronic Dog Training Collar
- Training Your Dog Using Rewards And Positive Reinforcement
- Dog Training for Proper Dog Behavior
- Important Guide To Training Your Dog
- Dog Potty Training - Potty Train Your Dog
- Training Terrier Dogs
- Dog Training Devices
- Get Rid of the Neighbors' Complaints with the Efficient Dog Training Collars
- Super Dog Training Secrets Revealed
- New Puppy - Basic Dog Training
- Dog and Puppy Toilet Training
- Tips for Dog Grooming at Home
- Dogs and Their Different Behavior
- Tips and Techniques to Train Your Dog
- What Makes Mammoth Dog Beds So Durable
- How to Keep Your Dog in Tip Top Shape
- Mammoth Dog Beds - Dogs Love Mammoth Dog Beds
- How to Find the Right Dog Supplies for Your Pet
- Learn about the Weaten Dog Terrier
- How To Select The Right Dog Harness
- Portuguese Water Dogs Are Hypoallergenic
- Use a Guard Dog at Home
- Norfolk Terrier Dog as Pet
- Living with Your Dog and Renting
- Some Rules to Follow While Walking Your Dog
- Classifying Your Dog
- The Many Types of Hypoallergenic Dogs
In Toronto, there s no shortage of dog training options. All you need to do is enter dog training Toronto into your web browser and you will get more links than you could ever click. The problem is not finding a dog trainer in Toronto, it is finding the one that is best for you and your dog. (more)House Training Your Dog
House training is one of those issues that every dog owner must grapple with. In most cases house training is the first major milestone in the relationship between owner and dog, and it can sometimes be difficult and confusing for owner and dog alike. (more)Correct Any Kind of Upsetting Behavior with Dog Training Collars
Using a dog training collar is an efficient and safe way to correct your dog’s unpleasant behavior. There are several types of dog training collars on the market, but they all operate according to the same system. (more)Types of dog training collars - affordable and highly effecient
Dogs are certainly mans best friends and for this reason most dog owners treat their pets with the proper attention and dedication. As much as you love your dog and even if you consider him a dear member of your family, sometimes his barking becomes a problem both for your family and for neighbours. (more)Useful tips on using Dog Toys for Training your dog
Dog training is an important aspect of growing up for dogs. Most of the dog trainings are basically behavioral training and can improve the temperament of your dog immensely. (more)
- Some Tips for Fish Care
- Find the Right Breed of Hypoallergenic Dog
- Training Cockatiels
- Some History About Dogs
- Information On Vaccinations In Dogs
- The Tips on Getting the Cage for Iguana
- What to Do if Your Dog Collapses
- Information On Exersise For Different Dog Breeds
- Some Background about the Terrier Dog
- About Foxhound Dog
- Basic Tips For Fish Care
- Know about the Best Three Hypoallergenic Dogs
- What Are the Dog Allergies Symptoms?
- Information On Coccidiosis In Dogs
- All about Breeding Dogs
- Importance of Dog Grooming
- Cat Training Tools
- Training an Exotic Animal
- Crate Training Puppies - Train Your Puppy
- Crate Training Puppy - The Correct Setup