Train Your Dog to Using a Training Collar
There are many excellent training devices that can be used when training your dog. The most basic piece of equipment that every dog owner should own is a quality training collar. There are many different types of training collars, and these devices go by a variety of different names, including choke collar, choke chain, correction collar, slip collar and of course training collar. Training collars are favorite tools among both amateur and professional dog trainers.
When used properly, a training collar is a valuable, effective tool. However, like any tool it must be used properly in order to be effective. Despite its simple appearance and design, a training collar is a piece of precision equipment, and it must be treated with respect.
An improperly used training collar will do no good, and it can harm your training program by causing the dog to become confused and frightened. There are several important things to consider when choosing and fitting a training collar.
The first consideration when choosing a training collar is how the collar fits the dog. It is vital that the training collar be fitted properly to the dog. Only a properly fitted training collar will be effective for the dog.
The training collar must also be put on the dog the right way. Unlike a normal buckle collar, there is a definite right way and wrong way to put on a training collar, and putting it on the wrong way can make the collar ineffective or even dangerous.
In addition to being fitted and sized properly, the training collar must be used properly as well. The training collar is designed to provide a reminder, not a punishment. It is very important to never use steady pressure with a training collar. A training collar works by providing a sharp pressure, followed by an immediate release of pressure.
The weight of the chain and the size of the links on the training collar are very important when choosing a training collar. The weight of the chain should be appropriate for the size and weight of the dog. For instance, you would not use a heavy chain on a 10 pound dog, just as you would not use a very light chain on a 100 pound dog.
When using a training collar, it is very important to place the collar on the dog properly. The collar must be placed on the dog properly in order to be effective.
It is relatively easy to determine the length of training collar your dog needs. The appropriate size of the collar is the distance around the animal’s neck, plus 2-3 inches. Since training collars are usually made in even sizes, it may be necessary to round up to find the right size. When measuring, be sure to not make the tape measure too tight. The training collar will need to fit snugly, but not too tight. It is important that the pressure on the training collar be instantly relieved when the leash is slackened.
If the training collar is too tight, the pressure will not be relieved when you loosen the leash. If the collar is too loose, on the other hand, it could accidentally slip off the dog when he lowers his head.
When putting the training collar on the dog, it is important that the end of the chain that attaches to the leash is on the top of the dog’s neck. This is important in order for the collar to function as intended. It is important that the training collar loosen properly when the leash is slackened, and that it tighten instantly to provide the sharp correction when needed.
If the connecting piece of the training collar is placed anywhere except on the top of the dog’s head, the training collar will not loosen properly when the leash is slackened. This constant pressure on the training collar will be counterproductive, since the dog will not understand what is being asked of it or why the pressure is not being relieved when it does as it is asked.About the Author
Article source: Article-Dashboard.com
More ArticlesDog Potty Training - Learn How to Potty Train Your Dog
The best way to potty train a dog is to start out with a crate. Bringing home a new puppy is exciting but unless you are a little strange, potty training isn’t the most fun part about having a new pet. (more)Learn about Clicker Training a Dog
If you are looking to train your dog you might consider using the 'clicker training' method, which has recently become popular amongst dog trainers all over the country. In this method the trainer has to make use of a clicker, .. (more)Related Articles
- Dog Training Toronto
- Start Training Your Dog by Winning His Respect and Confidence
- Training Your Dog Using Rewards And Positive Reinforcement
- Put an End to the Annoying Barking of Your Dog with the Electronic Dog Training Collar
- Use Reward Training To Train Your Dog
- Dog Training Guide
- Some Tips on Training Your Dog
- Dog Training for Proper Dog Behavior
- How to Do Dog Potty Training
- Correct Any Kind of Upsetting Behavior with Dog Training Collars
- Dog and Puppy Toilet Training
- Training Terrier Dogs
- Useful tips on using Dog Toys for Training your dog
- House Training Your Dog
- Use a Dog Training School
- Training Your Dog To Eliminate Bad Habits
- Get Rid of the Neighbors' Complaints with the Efficient Dog Training Collars
- Trainer Takes Life One Dog at a Time
- About Dog House Training
- NFL Dog Collars Are Only the Beginning
- How to Use Positive Methods to Train Dogs
- Tips and Techniques to Train Your Dog
- Getting a Collar for Your Dog
- There are Many Ways to Train Your Dog
- Train Your Dog For Collar And Lead
- Learn to Train Your Dog
- Breed Temperament of Terrier Dogs
- You Can Give Help to Hypoallergenic Dogs
- Learn about the Newfoundland Dogs
- Protect Your Dog From Diseases
- How to Notice Swelling in Dogs
- Hypoallergenic Dog Care
- Information On Coccidiosis In Dogs
- Boston Terrier Dog Rescue Centers
Dogs are certainly mans best friends and for this reason most dog owners treat their pets with the proper attention and dedication. As much as you love your dog and even if you consider him a dear member of your family, sometimes his barking becomes a problem both for your family and for neighbours. (more)Dog Training Devices
Dog Training Devices (more)Super Dog Training Secrets Revealed
The socialization period is the most suitable time for bonding between you and your dog. During a puppy s socialization stage, it learns by experience and can easily learn to foster relationships with both humans and its fellow dogs. A puppy learns new behaviors during the socialization stage that helps it learn its master s needs. (more)Dog Training - A Pro Reveals His Best Methods And Tips
Dogs are worthless training material during the neonate period because of their underdeveloped learning capacities. The best time to train a puppy is usually between three and four months after its birth when its learning capacity has fully developed. The puppy of a docile litter is usually teachable and submissive by nature. (more)New Puppy - Basic Dog Training
Bringing home a new puppy is always an exciting time for the entire family. Getting that new puppy off the right start with proper training is very important to making that puppy a valued member of his human family. (more)
- Dog Grooming is Necessary in a Dogs Life
- Terrier Dogs Interesting Facts
- How to Feed Your Dog Treats
- Dog Grooming - How to Groom Your Dog
- Living with Your Dog and Renting
- Crate Training Your Cat
- Learn about the Weaten Dog Terrier
- Different Cats Have Different Training Tips
- Mammoth Dog Beds - Dogs Love Mammoth Dog Beds
- How to Teach Your Dog Proper Social Skills
- Portuguese Water Dogs Are Hypoallergenic
- Quality Dog Supplies at Sensible Rates
- Some Background about the Terrier Dog
- The Easy Way to Get Your Dog to Behave
- Devices You Can Use to Train Your Cat
- Why You Need To Use Glucosamines And Chondroitin For Dogs And Cats
- Find the Right Breed of Hypoallergenic Dog
- How to Train Your Pet Parrot
- How To Select The Right Dog Harness
- Dogs Arthritis Pain Eased by Mammoth Dog Beds