Train Your Dog to Using a Training Collar
There are many excellent training devices that can be used when training your dog. The most basic piece of equipment that every dog owner should own is a quality training collar. There are many different types of training collars, and these devices go by a variety of different names, including choke collar, choke chain, correction collar, slip collar and of course training collar. Training collars are favorite tools among both amateur and professional dog trainers.
When used properly, a training collar is a valuable, effective tool. However, like any tool it must be used properly in order to be effective. Despite its simple appearance and design, a training collar is a piece of precision equipment, and it must be treated with respect.
An improperly used training collar will do no good, and it can harm your training program by causing the dog to become confused and frightened. There are several important things to consider when choosing and fitting a training collar.
The first consideration when choosing a training collar is how the collar fits the dog. It is vital that the training collar be fitted properly to the dog. Only a properly fitted training collar will be effective for the dog.
The training collar must also be put on the dog the right way. Unlike a normal buckle collar, there is a definite right way and wrong way to put on a training collar, and putting it on the wrong way can make the collar ineffective or even dangerous.
In addition to being fitted and sized properly, the training collar must be used properly as well. The training collar is designed to provide a reminder, not a punishment. It is very important to never use steady pressure with a training collar. A training collar works by providing a sharp pressure, followed by an immediate release of pressure.
The weight of the chain and the size of the links on the training collar are very important when choosing a training collar. The weight of the chain should be appropriate for the size and weight of the dog. For instance, you would not use a heavy chain on a 10 pound dog, just as you would not use a very light chain on a 100 pound dog.
When using a training collar, it is very important to place the collar on the dog properly. The collar must be placed on the dog properly in order to be effective.
It is relatively easy to determine the length of training collar your dog needs. The appropriate size of the collar is the distance around the animal’s neck, plus 2-3 inches. Since training collars are usually made in even sizes, it may be necessary to round up to find the right size. When measuring, be sure to not make the tape measure too tight. The training collar will need to fit snugly, but not too tight. It is important that the pressure on the training collar be instantly relieved when the leash is slackened.
If the training collar is too tight, the pressure will not be relieved when you loosen the leash. If the collar is too loose, on the other hand, it could accidentally slip off the dog when he lowers his head.
When putting the training collar on the dog, it is important that the end of the chain that attaches to the leash is on the top of the dog’s neck. This is important in order for the collar to function as intended. It is important that the training collar loosen properly when the leash is slackened, and that it tighten instantly to provide the sharp correction when needed.
If the connecting piece of the training collar is placed anywhere except on the top of the dog’s head, the training collar will not loosen properly when the leash is slackened. This constant pressure on the training collar will be counterproductive, since the dog will not understand what is being asked of it or why the pressure is not being relieved when it does as it is asked.About the Author
Article source: Article-Dashboard.com
More ArticlesUse Reward Training To Train Your Dog
Reward training has indeed been made use of for many years to train dogs; it is a good method to teach dogs of a small size like Pomeranians that are too small to act in response to choke collars and other insensitive techniques of training. (more)Dog Training Devices
Dog Training Devices (more)Related Articles
- Dog Training Toronto
- Put an End to the Annoying Barking of Your Dog with the Electronic Dog Training Collar
- Training Your Dog Using Rewards And Positive Reinforcement
- Super Dog Training Secrets Revealed
- About Dog House Training
- New Puppy - Basic Dog Training
- Training Your Dog To Eliminate Bad Habits
- Dog Potty Training - Learn How to Potty Train Your Dog
- Useful tips on using Dog Toys for Training your dog
- House Training Your Dog
- Get Rid of the Neighbors' Complaints with the Efficient Dog Training Collars
- Dog and Puppy Toilet Training Guide
- Learn about Clicker Training a Dog
- Training Your Terrier Dog
- Correct Any Kind of Upsetting Behavior with Dog Training Collars
- How to Do Dog Potty Training
- Start Training Your Dog by Winning His Respect and Confidence
- There are Many Ways to Train Your Dog
- Train Your Dog For Collar And Lead
- NFL Dog Collars Are Only the Beginning
- Getting a Collar for Your Dog
- Learn to Train Your Dog
- Tips and Techniques to Train Your Dog
- How to Use Positive Methods to Train Dogs
- Trainer Takes Life One Dog at a Time
- Some Tips on Training Your Dog
- Classifying Your Dog
- Mammoth Dog Beds
- History of the Dog Fence
- Know about the Best Three Hypoallergenic Dogs
- Pet Care: Dogs
- Keep Your Dog Tamed
- All You Wanted to Know About Dog Grooming
- Protect Your Dog From Diseases
Dogs are certainly mans best friends and for this reason most dog owners treat their pets with the proper attention and dedication. As much as you love your dog and even if you consider him a dear member of your family, sometimes his barking becomes a problem both for your family and for neighbours. (more)Important Guide To Training Your Dog
The first type of dog training is known as puppy preschool. This is a dog training course meant for puppies that are about 6 weeks to 5 months old. The second type of dog training course is meant for the dogs that are at least 5 months old. (more)Dog Training - A Pro Reveals His Best Methods And Tips
Dogs are worthless training material during the neonate period because of their underdeveloped learning capacities. The best time to train a puppy is usually between three and four months after its birth when its learning capacity has fully developed. The puppy of a docile litter is usually teachable and submissive by nature. (more)Dog Training for Proper Dog Behavior
There are many reasons for teaching proper dog behavior, and teaching such behavior has many benefits for both the human and canine partners. Dog behavior training is vital to such life and death issues as preventing aggression .. (more)Use a Dog Training School
There are a number of reasons why using a dog training school is the best way to train your dog. Perhaps most important is having the best poassible relationship with your dog. (more)
- Litter Training a Puppy
- Get a Training Collar for Your Cat
- Getting a Mobile Trailer for Dog Grooming
- Bull Dog Terriers First Impressions
- About Foxhound Dog
- How To Choose The Right Indoor And Outdoor Dog Bed
- Best Night Dog
- Coated Wheaten Terrier Pet Dog
- What to Do if Your Dog Collapses
- How To Select The Right Dog Harness
- Boston Terrier Dog Rescue Centers
- Collie Dog Can Be a Sporting Dog
- How to Train Your Iguana
- What Are the Dog Allergies Symptoms?
- Information On Vaccinations In Dogs
- Living with a Dog
- What Makes Mammoth Dog Beds So Durable
- Puppy Potty - Training Tips for the New Puppy Owner
- Information On Exersise For Different Dog Breeds
- Training Cockatiels