Pet Insurance: What to Look For
Keeping a pet is a rewarding experience which many of us enjoy, but it can also be expensive. As well as all the routine costs such as food and grooming, you can also come up against unplanned expenses such as vetinary bills through sickness or accident. These bills can unfortunately be very high, so to ensure that their pets can get the treatment they need many people decide that taking out pet insurance is a sensible way of helping to cushion these costs. But what should you be looking for in a pet insurance policy?
The first thing to consider is what kind of pet you have. The cheapest kind of pet insurance is that for the most common pets - cats and dogs. Prices for these policies can be very reasonable indeed, amounting to only the cost of a few tins of pet food a month. If, however, you keep a more unusual kind of animal as a pet, then the price you pay may well be higher. Make sure that any policy you take out specifically includes your kind of pet, as many will exclude more 'exotic' kinds of animal.
The main reason for considering pet insurance is cover for medical treatment, but there are some exclusions that you need to be aware of. Firstly, your policy will almost certainly not cover routine treatments such as vaccinations, flea control, or worming. Secondly, you won't be covered for any pre-existing conditions that were already known about when you took out the policy (you should also declare any existing conditions when you take out the policy, or you risk it being declared invalid when you come to make a claim).
You also need to check your policy for claim limits: there may be a time limit of cover, so for example a long-term condition such as arthritis may only be covered for a period of 12 months, after which you will be responsible for meeting the bills. There is also usually a limit to the total cost of medical bill claims you make in any one year, but this is usually high enough to cover almost any conceivable situation.
Another major reason for taking out insurance is to help you cover the costs of getting your pet back if it goes missing. Most policies will contribute towards advertising in local newspapers etcetera, and also to providing reward money for the safe return of your pet.
Another very important part of your insurance cover is public liability, especially for dog owners. Even the calmest and most well behaved of pets could possibly cause damage to someone's property, or even cause an injury to a person. In this thankfully rare event, you could be open to huge legal bills and compensation claims - make sure that your policy includes a substantial amount of third party liability cover as standard.
Finally, check whether the policy you're considering places a limit on the age of your pet. Many policies are only available to, for example, cats up until the age of eight years. As it is in later years that your pet is most likely to need treatment, it obviously makes sense to ensure your policy will cover this, especially if your pet has a few years under their belt!About the Author
Article source: Article-Dashboard.com
More ArticlesGetting Pet Health Insurance in Canada
There are two wellbeing nursing issues that might make Canada's pet owners believe purchasing Canadian Pet Health Insurance for their family pets. Cancer and Tularemia. (more)Get Pet Health Insurance in Florida
Get pet health insurance in Florida. Pet owners, who have recently brought their pets to Florida, should be aware of the potential medical issues involved with exposing their pets to strange surroundings. (more)Related Articles
- California and Their Pet Health Insurance
- What Is Health Insurance For Pets
- Health Insurance for Your Exotic Pets
- California Pet Health Insurance
- Things You Should Know about Pet Health Care Insurance
- Information about Getting Pet Health Insurance
- Finding Pet Insurance for a Low Price
- It Is a Good Idea to Get Pet Health Insurance
- Why Get Insurance for a Cat Pet?
- Florida Pet Health Insurance
- How You Can Find the Right Pet Health Insurance Company
- Insurance for Your Pets
- Pet Rabbits - Your Pet Rabbit Insurance
- All about Health Insurance for Pets
- Read About Pet Health Insurance in Texas
- Insurance for VIP Pets
- Your Introductory Guide to Pet Insurance
- Things You Need To Know About Your Pet Health Insurance
- Pet Health Insurance - Online Guide
- Get Health Insurance for Your Pet
- How to Get Cheaper Pet Insurance
- More about Pet Health Insurance
- How Pet Insurance Can Save the Day
- What You Should Know Before Getting Pet Health Insurance
- A Look at Different Pet Health Insurance Plans
- Different Type of Pet Insurance in The States
- Why Take Out A Pet Insurance Policy?
- Market Your Pet Health Insurance Plan
- Should You Really Get Insurance for Your Pet
- The Questions You Should Ask before Getting Pet Health Insurance
- Why Take Out Pet Insurance?
- How Much Does Health Insurance for Pets Cover
- California Pet Health Insurance
- Finding the Right Pet Health Insurance
You either love them or you hate them, the members, breeders, and owners who are affiliated with the American Kennel Club. Puppies who are registered with the American Kennel Club are the aristocracy of the dog world, granted entry into the finest clubs and most exclusive clubs. (more)Some Reason To Get Health Insurance For Your Pet Cat
Most people do not to think about purchasing pet health insurance for the family cat simply because it seems as if cats never get sick. (more)Health Insurance for Pets in Pennsylvania
Dog owners in the state of Pennsylvania are more then eligible to purchase pet health insurance for their dogs from the American Kennel Club. (more)Learn about Getting Insurance for Your Pet
Some questions you should ask the pet health insurance company you are considering buying a pet health care policy from is whether or not your vet accepts that particular type of insurance. (more)USA Pet Health Insurance
Many American pet owners don't realize that there are similar pet liability insurance plans available in the United States. Pet owners who would like to purchase pet liability insurance to cover any damages their pets might be responsible.. (more)
- Do Not Overpay for an Exotic Pet
- Choosing an Uncommon Pet. Lizard, Pony, Horse. But you Have to Take Care of Them
- Making a Proper Environment for Your Exotic Pet
- Consider Getting Health Insurance for Your Rabbit
- Some Health Care Information For Your Pet
- Health Insurance for Your Dog
- Make Your Exotic Pet Happy
- Getting a Norfolk Pet Terrier
- Legal Problems with Exotic Pets
- Pet Insect - Having Insects As Pets
- Getting a Pet Cougar
- How to Choose the Right Pet For You
- Get Health Insurance for Your Cat Before It Is Too Late
- Pet Meds Coupons Save You Money
- Need Health Insurance For Cat?
- The Temperature for Exotic Pets - Habitat Temperature
- How to Adopt Exotic Pets
- What Kind Of Pet Resources You Need
- Horse Insurance - What to Consider when Purchasing Equine Insurance
- Getting a Cage for Your Exotic Pet