Pet and animal games online - play free pet games.
Exotic pets for sale - sell / buy exotic pets online.
Information On Coccidiosis In Dogs
Coccidiosis in dogs is an infection caused by single-celled organisms called ‘protozoa’s.’ Coccidiosis is a pet health issue that leads to diarrhea as these organisms (parasites) infect the lining of the intestine and make the intestinal tract their home.
What is Coccidiosis?
Coccidiosis is caused by ‘coccidia’ or small protozoans (organisms having one-cell), which infest the intestinal tracts of animals such as cats and dogs and affect the pet health. Commonly found in puppies that are less than 6 months old or in adult dogs that have a suppressed immune system or are susceptible to stress due to a disease or change in environment etc.
Pet health of animals such as dogs and cats is affected by protozoans belonging to the Isospora genus; however, I. ohioensis and Isospora canis are the two species that most often affect the pet health. As the time passes and the puppy grows up it automatically develops a natural immunity that helps with dog health care. A grown up dog can experience Coccidiosis in the lining of his intestine but discard the cysts through his feces without experiencing any ill effects.
How does the dog develop Coccidiosis?
Typically, Oocysts or immature protozoans pass through the feces of the dog and sustain themselves in the environment to sporulate or grow into a well-developed Oocyst that can easily damage the pet health again. This entire process require less than 6 hours, though it does take around 7-10 days. If the mature Oocysts are accidentally consumed, they cling to the intestinal lining of the dog to complete their life cycle. Since these coccidia infect mice as well, if your dog happens to eat an infected mouse it can develop Coccidiosis.
What are the problems caused due to Coccidiosis?
It has been observed that a majority of the dogs diagnosed with Coccidiosis don’t have pet health issues such as diarrhea or any other medical problem. Moreover, if your dog passes protozoan eggs through his regular bowels, there is not cause of worry or concern for your pet health. However, dog health care becomes a prime cause of concern when Coccidiosis is diagnosed in puppies as well as injured adult dogs and can cause extreme bouts of diarrhea with watery consistency, dehydration, vomiting and even abdominal pain. In a few cases, Coccidiosis may lead to death of the pet.
How is Coccidiosis diagnosed?
The vet can diagnose Coccidiosis by examining the stool sample of your pet under a microscope. Because the Oocysts are very tiny (even smaller than the eggs of some intestinal parasites), a very careful examination is demanded. Pet health can also be affected by infections caused by uncommon protozoans with the help of a blood test.
How is Coccidiosis treated?
Coccidiosis can be treated and your dog health care maintained by giving the pet sulfa-type antibiotic for a period of 10-14 days. Some other drugs may need to be given if diarrhea and dehydration affect pet health.
Finally, remember to maintain a good and clean environment to ensure proper dog health care because re-infection is common. Coccidiosis caused by protozoan’s species of dogs and other pets don’t infect human beings.About the Author
Article source: Article-Dashboard.com
More ArticlesKeep Your Dog Tamed
How To Keep Your Dog Tamed - Here are some tips you can use to keep your Airedale terrier pet dog well-behaved. (more)Where To Find Hypoallergenic Dog Breeders
Finding a good dog breeder when you want to buy a hypoallergenic dog can be difficult if you do not know what you are looking for. Many breeders, unfortunately, take advantage of those who do not know much about dogs and try to sell them mixed breeds (more)Related Articles
- How to Keep Ticks Away from Your Dog
- Super Dog Training Secrets Revealed
- Learn about Clicker Training a Dog
- Trainer Takes Life One Dog at a Time
- How to Use Positive Methods to Train Dogs
- How To Choose The Right Indoor And Outdoor Dog Bed
- A Dog Can Make You Become A Better Person
- Training Your Dog To Eliminate Bad Habits
- Norfolk Terrier Dogs as Pets
- Bull Dog Terriers First Impressions
- Learn to Train Your Dog
- Portuguese Water Dogs Are Hypoallergenic
- Pet Care: Dogs
- The Best Night Dog
- Treating Dogs with Insects Stings
- How to Groom Your Hypoallergenic Dog
- For The Love Of Dogs - Get A Mammoth Dog Bed
- Get Rid of the Neighbors' Complaints with the Efficient Dog Training Collars
- Exercise for Dogs with Arthritis
- Get Your Money Worth When You Buy a Mammoth Dog Bed
- Important Dog Education Advice – The Things To Take Into Account-00-620
- Classifying Your Dog
- Start Training Your Dog by Winning His Respect and Confidence
- Put an End to the Annoying Barking of Your Dog with the Electronic Dog Training Collar
- You Can Give Help to Hypoallergenic Dogs
- Learn about the Foxhound Dog
- Make Your Dog Obey You
- What to Do if Your Dog Collapses
- Types of dog training collars - affordable and highly effecient
- Having Cats and Dogs At Home
- Training Your Dog Using Rewards And Positive Reinforcement
- Learn about the Weaten Dog Terrier
- Cairn Terrier Pet Dogs Information
- Mammoth Dog Beds - Dogs Arthritis Pain Eased by Mammoth Dog Beds
Even however the differences between non-hypoallergenic dogs and hypoallergenic dogs may not be mammoth, they are enough to shrink the total of aversion attacks the people have when they are around certain breeds of dog. (more)Protect Your Dog from Diseases
Like any other pet, dogs, if not properly cared for and maintained, can get diseases. Here are some parasites that cause dog diseases. (more)Dog Supplies - The Basics
This article will help you realise the importance of having your basic dog supplies at your reach. Some may underestimate the needs of pets as compared to our own needs. (more)Do not Skimp on your Dog Bed
A good quality bed is an investment in your dog’s comfort as well as their health. This is especially true when selecting an orthopedic dog bed as a dog that has hip .. (more)Terrier Dogs Interesting Facts
Airedale Terrier This is known to be the major dog in the Terrier breed. Standing a common of 23 inches from the shoulder, this dog shows off the beauty and style that make them fit for both dog deference trials and show rings. (more)
- How to Stop Your Mixed Breed Dog Whining Problems
- Dogs and Dog supplies - Quality supply at sensible rates
- Breed Temperament of Terrier Dogs
- Not Just Walk Your Dog, Walk Your Cat
- How to Feed Your Dog Treats
- Hypoallergenic Dogs That Are Hairless
- Weight Gains in Dog
- Why Are Dog Beds an Important Part of Dog Supplies
- There are Many Ways to Train Your Dog
- The Dog Lovers Club
- The Special Needs Of A Hypoallergenic Dog
- How to keep your dog happy using dog names and dog treats
- Here Is a List of Hypoallergenic Dogs
- Care for Dogs That Are Hypoallergenic for Humans
- Dogs Food - Buying the Right Dog Food
- Dog Training Toronto
- Teach Your Dog Proper Social Skills
- Living with a Dog
- Information On Vaccinations In Dogs
- How to Find the Right Dog Supplies for Your Pet