Pet and animal games online - play free pet games.
Exotic pets for sale - sell / buy exotic pets online.
Information On Coccidiosis In Dogs
Coccidiosis in dogs is an infection caused by single-celled organisms called ‘protozoa’s.’ Coccidiosis is a pet health issue that leads to diarrhea as these organisms (parasites) infect the lining of the intestine and make the intestinal tract their home.
What is Coccidiosis?
Coccidiosis is caused by ‘coccidia’ or small protozoans (organisms having one-cell), which infest the intestinal tracts of animals such as cats and dogs and affect the pet health. Commonly found in puppies that are less than 6 months old or in adult dogs that have a suppressed immune system or are susceptible to stress due to a disease or change in environment etc.
Pet health of animals such as dogs and cats is affected by protozoans belonging to the Isospora genus; however, I. ohioensis and Isospora canis are the two species that most often affect the pet health. As the time passes and the puppy grows up it automatically develops a natural immunity that helps with dog health care. A grown up dog can experience Coccidiosis in the lining of his intestine but discard the cysts through his feces without experiencing any ill effects.
How does the dog develop Coccidiosis?
Typically, Oocysts or immature protozoans pass through the feces of the dog and sustain themselves in the environment to sporulate or grow into a well-developed Oocyst that can easily damage the pet health again. This entire process require less than 6 hours, though it does take around 7-10 days. If the mature Oocysts are accidentally consumed, they cling to the intestinal lining of the dog to complete their life cycle. Since these coccidia infect mice as well, if your dog happens to eat an infected mouse it can develop Coccidiosis.
What are the problems caused due to Coccidiosis?
It has been observed that a majority of the dogs diagnosed with Coccidiosis don’t have pet health issues such as diarrhea or any other medical problem. Moreover, if your dog passes protozoan eggs through his regular bowels, there is not cause of worry or concern for your pet health. However, dog health care becomes a prime cause of concern when Coccidiosis is diagnosed in puppies as well as injured adult dogs and can cause extreme bouts of diarrhea with watery consistency, dehydration, vomiting and even abdominal pain. In a few cases, Coccidiosis may lead to death of the pet.
How is Coccidiosis diagnosed?
The vet can diagnose Coccidiosis by examining the stool sample of your pet under a microscope. Because the Oocysts are very tiny (even smaller than the eggs of some intestinal parasites), a very careful examination is demanded. Pet health can also be affected by infections caused by uncommon protozoans with the help of a blood test.
How is Coccidiosis treated?
Coccidiosis can be treated and your dog health care maintained by giving the pet sulfa-type antibiotic for a period of 10-14 days. Some other drugs may need to be given if diarrhea and dehydration affect pet health.
Finally, remember to maintain a good and clean environment to ensure proper dog health care because re-infection is common. Coccidiosis caused by protozoan’s species of dogs and other pets don’t infect human beings.About the Author
Article source: Article-Dashboard.com
More ArticlesWhat to Do if Your Dog Collapses
Dog collapse can be a serious condition, more so if the dog falls down without any apparent reason and you must take your dog for a veterinary investigation to find out the reason for collapse. (more)Dog Bed - Do not Skimp on your Dog Bed
A good quality bed is an investment in your dog’s comfort as well as their health. This is especially true when selecting an orthopedic dog bed as a dog that has hip .. (more)Related Articles
- Using a Guide Dog For Normal Life
- Some Rules to Follow While Walking Your Dog
- Interesting Information Regarding Cairn Terrier Pet Dogs
- Learn to Train Your Dog
- For The Love Of Dogs - Get A Mammoth Dog Bed
- Dog Training Guide
- Dogs Beds - Luxury Dog Bed?
- Learn about Clicker Training a Dog
- Dog Supplies - The Basics
- Some Background about the Terrier Dog
- How to Feed Your Dog Treats
- How to Groom Your Dog
- Dogs And Their Different Behavior
- Where To Find Hypoallergenic Dog Breeders
- Mammoth Dog Beds - Dog Beds that Withstand Abuse
- Kingdom of Pets - The Easy Way to Get Your Dog to Behave
- All You Wanted to Know About Dog Grooming
- Why You Need To Use Glucosamines And Chondroitin For Dogs And Cats
- Useful tips on using Dog Toys for Training your dog
- Cairn Terrier Pet Dogs
- Making Your Dog Obey You
- Training Your Dog Using Rewards And Positive Reinforcement
- Dog and Puppy Toilet Training Guide
- Some Tips on Training Your Dog
- How to Teach Your Dog Proper Social Skills
- How to Choose the Right Bed for your Dog
- Information On Vaccinations In Dogs
- Dogs Can Make You a Better Person
- History of the Dog Fence
- Buying the Right Dog Food
- Dog House Training Tips
- You Can Give Help to Hypoallergenic Dogs
- Rules for Walking Your Dog
- Know about the Best Three Hypoallergenic Dogs
Like any other pet, dogs, if not properly cared for and maintained, can get diseases. Here are some parasites that cause dog diseases. (more)Dog Training Devices
Dog Training Devices (more)Corneal Ulcer in Dogs
Corneal Ulcer Pet health care is compromised when the first layer of the cornea is damaged and can’t protect the eye from bacteria and other micro organisms. (more)Put an End to the Annoying Barking of Your Dog with the Electronic Dog Training Collar
As much as you love your dog, you have to admit that sometimes its incessant barking is annoying, particularly when you need a good night’s sleep. If you had a busy day at the office, all you want is to get some sleep, but your beloved pet can’t understand this and seems to bark continuously, without any obvious reason. (more)Having Cats and Dogs At Home
The saying "fighting like cats and dogs" didn't come up as superstar's idea of a hoax just for cartoons (Tom and Jerry comes into brains). Dogs are regularly territorial and will combat not just new cats but other new dogs as well. (more)
- What Are the Dog Allergies Symptoms?
- Get Your Money Worth When You Buy a Mammoth Dog Bed
- Correct Any Kind of Upsetting Behavior with Dog Training Collars
- How to Find the Right Dog Supplies for Your Pet
- NFL Dog Collars Are Only the Beginning
- Hypoallergenic Dogs That Are Hairless
- Living with a Dog
- The Many Types of Hypoallergenic Dogs
- The Dog Lovers Club
- Portuguese Water Dogs Are Hypoallergenic
- Dogs Pet Care - Caring of Dog Pet
- The Best Night Dog
- Your Dog Being Alone
- Dog Training for Proper Dog Behavior
- Keep Your Dog Tamed
- Reserved Dog Scottish Terrier
- Dog Coats: For Winter Comfort & Safety
- Dog Training - A Pro Reveals His Best Methods And Tips
- Use a Dog Training School
- Exercise for Dogs with Arthritis