Dog Training for Proper Dog Behavior
There are many reasons for teaching proper dog behavior, and teaching such behavior has many benefits for both the human and canine partners. Dog behavior training is vital to such life and death issues as preventing aggression, controlling dog on dog aggression problems and teaching dogs to interact properly with both their handlers and with other members of the family.
Understanding how dogs evolved, and how dogs interact with each other, is very important to understanding how to properly train your dog to be a devoted, loyal companion. The original dogs were probably orphaned wolf pups adopted by early humans. These wild dogs probably learned to perform behaviors that their human protectors valued, such as guarding the cave or scaring off predators. In exchange for these valued behaviors, the humans probably provided their new companions with foods, protection and shelter. That kind of relationship still exists today, of course, and dogs still can, and do, perform valuable jobs for their human benefactors. Those jobs include herding and guarding livestock, guarding property, guarding people, and finding game.
When planning a dog training program, it is important to know that dogs are pack animals. In wild dog societies, packs are formed, and each member of the pack quickly learns his or her place in the pecking order. Except in the event of death or injury to the alpha dog, the hierarchy never changes once it has been established. The lower dogs know not to challenge the alpha dog, and the alpha dog understand his place as leader of the pack.
All the other dogs in the pack look to the alpha dog for leadership, in important survival issues like finding food and avoiding larger predators. In order to properly train your dog and gain its respect, it is important for you to become the alpha dog.
That is because a dog that sees its owner as a superior leader will follow the commands the owner gives without question. Getting the respect of the dog is the most important step to proper dog training, and it will form the basis of all subsequent training.
The reasons for training a dog properly are many, especially in today’s world. A well mannered, obedient dog is a joy to be around, both for the owner and his or her family, and for people in the community at large. In addition, seeing a well mannered dog sets people’s mind at ease, especially with breeds of dog thought to be dangerous, such as Dobermans, rottweilers and pit bulls.
When training dogs and dealing with unwanted dog behaviors, it is important to understand the motivating factors behind those behaviors. For example, many dogs exhibit unwanted behaviors such as chewing and destroying furniture due to separation anxiety. Dealing with the sources of problem behaviors is an important first step toward eliminating those problem behaviors.
Many dogs exhibit unwanted behaviors as a result of stress in the animal’s life, and its inability to cope with that stress. The goal of a good dog training program is to allow the dog to tolerate greater levels of stress without becoming a problem animal.
When dealing with dog behavior, it is important not to confuse human behavior with dog behavior. While there is a great temptation on the part of dog owners to see their dogs as almost human, in reality dogs and humans have very different motivations, and very different reactions to similar situations.
One trait that humans and dogs do share, however, is the need to form close social groups and strong bonds within those social groups. This bonding is important to both humans and dogs, but it has served vastly different ends as both species have evolved and changed over time.About the Author
Article source: Article-Dashboard.com
More ArticlesNew Puppy - Basic Dog Training
Bringing home a new puppy is always an exciting time for the entire family. Getting that new puppy off the right start with proper training is very important to making that puppy a valued member of his human family. (more)Put an End to the Annoying Barking of Your Dog with the Electronic Dog Training Collar
As much as you love your dog, you have to admit that sometimes its incessant barking is annoying, particularly when you need a good night’s sleep. If you had a busy day at the office, all you want is to get some sleep, but your beloved pet can’t understand this and seems to bark continuously, without any obvious reason. (more)Related Articles
- Why Use a Dog Training School
- Dog House Training Tips
- House Training Your Dog
- Learn about Clicker Training a Dog
- How to Do Dog Potty Training
- Dog Potty Training - Potty Train Your Dog
- Dog Training Devices
- Dog Training Guide
- Dog Training - A Pro Reveals His Best Methods And Tips
- Types of dog training collars - affordable and highly effecient
- Start Training Your Dog by Winning His Respect and Confidence
- Dog Training Toronto
- Use Reward Training To Train Your Dog
- Useful tips on using Dog Toys for Training your dog
- Correct Any Kind of Upsetting Behavior with Dog Training Collars
- Dog and Puppy Toilet Training
- Training Your Dog To Eliminate Bad Habits
- Training Your Dog Using Rewards And Positive Reinforcement
- Tips and Techniques to Train Your Dog
- Trainer Takes Life One Dog at a Time
- Dogs and Their Different Behavior
- Learn to Train Your Dog
- There are Many Ways to Train Your Dog
- Train Dogs For Collar And Lead
- Dog Grooming at Home
- How to Use Positive Methods to Train Dogs
- A Dog Can Make You Become A Better Person
- Importance of Dog Grooming
- Differences Between Hypoallergenic Dog And Non-Hypoallergenic Dog
- Homemade Dog Food Recipes
- Mammoth Dog Beds - Dogs Arthritis Pain Eased by Mammoth Dog Beds
- Getting Your Dog Ready for a Show
- Why Not Pamper Your Dog With a Luxury Dog Bed?
- Information Regarding Cairn Terrier Pet Dogs
Most people think that training a dog is hard and expensive. Moreover, dog training requires a lot of patience and creativity for your dog. (more)Super Dog Training Secrets Revealed
The socialization period is the most suitable time for bonding between you and your dog. During a puppy s socialization stage, it learns by experience and can easily learn to foster relationships with both humans and its fellow dogs. A puppy learns new behaviors during the socialization stage that helps it learn its master s needs. (more)Get Rid of the Neighbors' Complaints with the Efficient Dog Training Collars
If you are the happy owner of a dog, you have certainly shared many pleasant moments with your pet. The unpleasant part of being a dog-owner comes when your family and neighbors are disturbed by the continuous and annoying barking of your best friend. (more)Train Your Dog to Using a Training Collar
There are many excellent training devices that can be used when training your dog. The most basic piece of equipment that every dog owner should own is a quality training collar. (more)Some Tips on Training Your Dog
Training your dog is something that each and every owner of a pet has to associate with. You have to use time doing what requires to be done and carrying it out efficiently. Pet owners who do not train their animals .. (more)
- Having Fun Training Your Cat
- Exotic Pet Behavior
- Corneal Ulcer in Dogs
- Hypoallergenic Dog Care
- Having Cats and Dogs At Home
- Puppy Training Pads
- How To Choose The Right Indoor And Outdoor Dog Bed
- How to Keep Your Dog in Tip Top Shape
- How to Groom Your Dog
- The Art of Cat Training
- The Many Types of Hypoallergenic Dogs
- Learn about the Dog Lovers Club
- Puppy Training - Potential Problems that You May Encounter
- Stop Your Mixed Breed Dog Whining Problems
- How to Find the Right Dog Supplies for Your Pet
- Terrier Dogs Interesting Facts
- Collie Dog Can Be a Sporting Dog
- What Are the Dog Allergies Symptoms?
- Information On The Most Common Cat behaviors
- Boston Terrier Dog Rescue Centers