Dog Training for Proper Dog Behavior
There are many reasons for teaching proper dog behavior, and teaching such behavior has many benefits for both the human and canine partners. Dog behavior training is vital to such life and death issues as preventing aggression, controlling dog on dog aggression problems and teaching dogs to interact properly with both their handlers and with other members of the family.
Understanding how dogs evolved, and how dogs interact with each other, is very important to understanding how to properly train your dog to be a devoted, loyal companion. The original dogs were probably orphaned wolf pups adopted by early humans. These wild dogs probably learned to perform behaviors that their human protectors valued, such as guarding the cave or scaring off predators. In exchange for these valued behaviors, the humans probably provided their new companions with foods, protection and shelter. That kind of relationship still exists today, of course, and dogs still can, and do, perform valuable jobs for their human benefactors. Those jobs include herding and guarding livestock, guarding property, guarding people, and finding game.
When planning a dog training program, it is important to know that dogs are pack animals. In wild dog societies, packs are formed, and each member of the pack quickly learns his or her place in the pecking order. Except in the event of death or injury to the alpha dog, the hierarchy never changes once it has been established. The lower dogs know not to challenge the alpha dog, and the alpha dog understand his place as leader of the pack.
All the other dogs in the pack look to the alpha dog for leadership, in important survival issues like finding food and avoiding larger predators. In order to properly train your dog and gain its respect, it is important for you to become the alpha dog.
That is because a dog that sees its owner as a superior leader will follow the commands the owner gives without question. Getting the respect of the dog is the most important step to proper dog training, and it will form the basis of all subsequent training.
The reasons for training a dog properly are many, especially in today’s world. A well mannered, obedient dog is a joy to be around, both for the owner and his or her family, and for people in the community at large. In addition, seeing a well mannered dog sets people’s mind at ease, especially with breeds of dog thought to be dangerous, such as Dobermans, rottweilers and pit bulls.
When training dogs and dealing with unwanted dog behaviors, it is important to understand the motivating factors behind those behaviors. For example, many dogs exhibit unwanted behaviors such as chewing and destroying furniture due to separation anxiety. Dealing with the sources of problem behaviors is an important first step toward eliminating those problem behaviors.
Many dogs exhibit unwanted behaviors as a result of stress in the animal’s life, and its inability to cope with that stress. The goal of a good dog training program is to allow the dog to tolerate greater levels of stress without becoming a problem animal.
When dealing with dog behavior, it is important not to confuse human behavior with dog behavior. While there is a great temptation on the part of dog owners to see their dogs as almost human, in reality dogs and humans have very different motivations, and very different reactions to similar situations.
One trait that humans and dogs do share, however, is the need to form close social groups and strong bonds within those social groups. This bonding is important to both humans and dogs, but it has served vastly different ends as both species have evolved and changed over time.About the Author
Article source: Article-Dashboard.com
More ArticlesUse Reward Training To Train Your Dog
Reward training has indeed been made use of for many years to train dogs; it is a good method to teach dogs of a small size like Pomeranians that are too small to act in response to choke collars and other insensitive techniques of training. (more)Dog Training Guide
The first type of dog training is known as puppy preschool. This is a dog training course meant for puppies that are about 6 weeks to 5 months old. The second type of dog training course is meant for the dogs that are at least 5 months old. (more)Related Articles
- Correct Any Kind of Upsetting Behavior with Dog Training Collars
- Training Your Dog Using Rewards And Positive Reinforcement
- Why Use a Dog Training School
- Useful tips on using Dog Toys for Training your dog
- Types of Dog Training Collars - Affordable and Highly Effecient
- Learn about Clicker Training a Dog
- About Dog House Training
- How to Do Dog Potty Training
- Dog Training Toronto
- Some Tips on Training Your Dog
- Get Rid of the Neighbors' Complaints with the Efficient Dog Training Collars
- Train Your Dog to Using a Training Collar
- Dog Potty Training - Learn How to Potty Train Your Dog
- Super Dog Training Secrets Revealed
- Dog Training Devices
- Dog Training - A Pro Reveals His Best Methods And Tips
- Start Training Your Dog by Winning His Respect and Confidence
- Train Your Dog For Collar And Lead
- Learn to Train Your Dog
- House Training Your Dog
- There are Many Ways to Train Your Dog
- Tips and Techniques to Train Your Dog
- Tips for Dog Grooming at Home
- Trainer Takes Life One Dog at a Time
- How to Use Positive Methods to Train Dogs
- Dogs and Their Different Behavior
- The Collie Dog Can Be A Sporting Dog
- Pet Care: Dogs
- Homemade Dog Food Recipes
- Health Insurance for Dogs
- Learn about Dog Bites
- How to Find the Right Dog Supplies for Your Pet
- History of the Dog Fence
- The Boston Terrier Dog
As much as you love your dog, you have to admit that sometimes its incessant barking is annoying, particularly when you need a good night’s sleep. If you had a busy day at the office, all you want is to get some sleep, but your beloved pet can’t understand this and seems to bark continuously, without any obvious reason. (more)Training Terrier Dogs
Most people think that training a dog is hard and expensive. Moreover, dog training requires a lot of patience and creativity for your dog. (more)Dog and Puppy Toilet Training Guide
Dog and Puppy Toilet Training Guide. People have all sorts of ideas on how to toilet train puppy once you get them home. Pretty soon your efforts to toilet train your puppy will pay off big time. (more)Training Your Dog To Eliminate Bad Habits
Anyone who owns a dog or puppy will eventually run into the need to eliminate unwanted habits. While most dogs are eager to please their owners and smart enough to do what is asked of them, it is important for the owner to properly communicate just what constitutes acceptable and unacceptable behaviors. (more)Basic Dog Training of a New Puppy
Bringing home a new puppy is always an exciting time for the entire family. Getting that new puppy off the right start with proper training is very important to making that puppy a valued member of his human family. (more)
- Tips on How to Get Cheaper Pet Insurance
- Get a Training Collar for Your Cat
- Your Dog Being Alone
- Interesting Information Regarding Cairn Terrier Pet Dogs
- Kingdom of Pets - The Easy Way to Get Your Dog to Behave
- Different Cats Have Different Training Tips
- Know about the Best Three Hypoallergenic Dogs
- How to Keep Your Dog in Tip Top Shape
- The Tips and Tricks in Building Iguana Cage
- Learn about the Weaten Dog Terrier
- Using a Guide Dog For Normal Life
- House Training a Puppy - Training Puppies
- About Getting Health Care for Your Exotic Pet
- How To Choose The Right Indoor And Outdoor Dog Bed
- Buying the Right Dog Food
- How to Choose the Right Bed for your Dog
- Important Dog Education Advice – The Things To Take Into Account-00-620
- How to Notice Swelling in Dogs
- Training Cockatiels
- About Newfoundland Dogs