Pet and animal games online - play free pet games.
Exotic pets for sale - sell / buy exotic pets online.
A Poodle that Is Smart
The Poodle is commonly acknowledged to be the most wisely intelligent of all members of the canine race. There is a general belief that he is a fop, whose time is largely occupied in personal embellishment, and that he requires a great deal of individual attention in the matter of his toilet.
It may be true that to keep him in exhibition order and perfect cleanliness his owner has need to devote more consideration to him than is necessary in the case of many breeds; but in other respects he gives very little trouble, and all who are attached to him are consistent in their opinion that there is no dog so intensely interesting and responsive as a companion. His qualities of mind and his acute powers of reasoning are indeed so great that there is something almost human in his attractiveness and his devotion. His aptitude in learning is never denied, and many are the stories told of his marvellous talent and versatility.
Not merely as a showman's dog has he distinguished himself. He is something more than a mountebank of the booths, trained to walk the tight rope and stand on his head. He is an adept at performing tricks, but it is his alertness of brain that places him apart from other animals.
The profuse and long coat of this dog has the peculiarity that if not kept constantly brushed out it twists up into little cords which increase in length as the new hair grows and clings about it. The unshed old hair and the new growth entwined together thus become distinct rope-like cords. Eventually, if these cords are not cut short, or accidentally torn off, they drag along the ground, and so prevent the poor animal from moving with any degree of comfort or freedom.
Corded Poodles are very showy, and from the remarkable appearance of the coat, attract a great deal of public attention when exhibited at shows; but they have lost popularity among most fanciers, and have become few in number owing to the obvious fact that it is impossible to make pets of them or keep them in the house. The reason of this is that the coat must, from time to time, be oiled in order to keep the cords supple and prevent them from snapping, and, of course, as their coats cannot be brushed, the only way of keeping the dog clean is to wash him, which with a corded Poodle is a lengthy and laborious process. Further, the coat takes hours to dry, and unless the newly washed dog be kept in a warm room he is very liable to catch cold. The result is, that the coats of corded Poodles are almost invariably dirty, and somewhat smelly.
Poodle's General appearance
Head: Long, straight, and fine, the skull not broad, with a slight peak at the back.
Muzzle: Long (but not snipy) and strong not full in cheek; teeth white, strong, and level; gums black, lips black and not showing lippiness.
Eyes: Almond shaped, very dark, full of fire and intelligence.
Nose: Black and sharp.
Ears: The leather long and wide, low set on, hanging close to the face.
Neck: Well proportioned and strong, to admit of the head being carried high and with dignity.
Feet: Rather small, and of good shape, the toes well arched, pads thick and hard.
Legs: Fore-legs set straight from shoulder, with plenty of bone and muscle.
Hind-legs: Very muscular and well bent, with the hocks well let down.
Tail: Set on rather high, well carried, never curled or carried over back.
Coat: Very profuse, and of good hard texture; if corded, hanging in tight, even cords; if non-corded, very thick and strong, of even length, the curls close and thick, without knots or cords.About the Author
Article source: Article-Dashboard.com
More ArticlesLearn to Train Your Dog
Why do you want to take a dog-grooming course? Didn't you learn how to bathe the family dog when you were a kid? Probably that is not the best way. You will learn allot in a course that will help you keep your pet clean and healthy without risking injury to your dog or yourself. (more)Dog Training for Proper Dog Behavior
There are many reasons for teaching proper dog behavior, and teaching such behavior has many benefits for both the human and canine partners. Dog behavior training is vital to such life and death issues as preventing aggression .. (more)Related Articles
- Dog Grooming is Necessary in a Dogs Life
- Dog and Puppy Toilet Training Guide
- Training Your Terrier Dog
- Put an End to the Annoying Barking of Your Dog with the Electronic Dog Training Collar
- Finding a Good School for Your Dog
- New Puppy - Basic Dog Training
- Protect Your Dog From Diseases
- Keep Your Dog in Tip Top Shape
- How To Choose The Right Dog Breed
- Training Your Dog Using Rewards And Positive Reinforcement
- Getting a Mobile Trailer for Dog Grooming
- Hypoallergenic Dog Food
- Reserved Dog Scottish Terrier
- Health Insurance for Your Dog
- Quality Dog Supplies at Sensible Rates
- What You Should Know About Dog Bites
- Your Dog Being Alone
- Pet Care: Dogs
- How to Do Dog Potty Training
- Care for Dogs That Are Hypoallergenic for Humans
- All about Breeding Dog
- Some Background about the Terrier Dog
- The Importance of Dog Grooming
- Important Guide To Training Your Dog
- Non Hypoallergenic Dogs and Hypoallergenic Dogs
- How to Keep Ticks Away from Your Dog
- Shelter Housing for Dogs
- History of the Dog Fence
- The Best Night Dog
- The Special Needs Of A Hypoallergenic Dog
- About Newfoundland Dogs
- Homemade Dog Food Recipes
- Dogs Love Mammoth Dog Beds of Their Own
- Interesting Information Regarding Cairn Terrier Pet Dogs
Redefine the way your dog sleeps from now on, bring home a luxury dog beds. Luxury dog beds are a perfect amalgamation of style and functionality. (more)How To Select The Right Dog Harness
A dog harness is not just used due to safety concerns, but also because of medical or behavior concerns. For dogs with thick necks, a dog harness is an essential as risk of getting hurt is paramount. (more)Types of dog training collars - affordable and highly effecient
Dogs are certainly mans best friends and for this reason most dog owners treat their pets with the proper attention and dedication. As much as you love your dog and even if you consider him a dear member of your family, sometimes his barking becomes a problem both for your family and for neighbours. (more)Corneal Ulcer in Dogs
Corneal Ulcer Pet health care is compromised when the first layer of the cornea is damaged and can’t protect the eye from bacteria and other micro organisms. (more)The Many Types of Hypoallergenic Dogs
When looking for a hypoallergenic dog, you will have to settle on a breed of dog and how the dog will fit into your lifestyle. Many hypoallergenic dogs are small or method breed dogs. (more)
- Learn about Clicker Training a Dog
- Classifying Your Dog
- How to Notice Swelling in Dogs
- Get A Mammoth Dog Bed
- Why You Need To Use Glucosamines And Chondroitin For Dogs And Cats
- Train Your Dog For Collar And Lead
- A Dog Can Make You Become A Better Person
- About Dog House Training
- Norfolk Terrier Dogs as Pets
- Dog Supplies - The Basics
- The Collie Dog Can Be A Sporting Dog
- You Can Give Help to Hypoallergenic Dogs
- How to Feed Your Dog Treats
- Learn about the Weaten Dog Terrier
- Using a Guide Dog For Normal Life
- Use Reward Training To Train Your Dog
- Correct Any Kind of Upsetting Behavior with Dog Training Collars
- How to Groom Your Hypoallergenic Dog
- Exercise for Dogs with Arthritis
- Living with a Dog