Pet and animal games online - play free pet games.
Exotic pets for sale - sell / buy exotic pets online.
A Poodle that Is Smart
The Poodle is commonly acknowledged to be the most wisely intelligent of all members of the canine race. There is a general belief that he is a fop, whose time is largely occupied in personal embellishment, and that he requires a great deal of individual attention in the matter of his toilet.
It may be true that to keep him in exhibition order and perfect cleanliness his owner has need to devote more consideration to him than is necessary in the case of many breeds; but in other respects he gives very little trouble, and all who are attached to him are consistent in their opinion that there is no dog so intensely interesting and responsive as a companion. His qualities of mind and his acute powers of reasoning are indeed so great that there is something almost human in his attractiveness and his devotion. His aptitude in learning is never denied, and many are the stories told of his marvellous talent and versatility.
Not merely as a showman's dog has he distinguished himself. He is something more than a mountebank of the booths, trained to walk the tight rope and stand on his head. He is an adept at performing tricks, but it is his alertness of brain that places him apart from other animals.
The profuse and long coat of this dog has the peculiarity that if not kept constantly brushed out it twists up into little cords which increase in length as the new hair grows and clings about it. The unshed old hair and the new growth entwined together thus become distinct rope-like cords. Eventually, if these cords are not cut short, or accidentally torn off, they drag along the ground, and so prevent the poor animal from moving with any degree of comfort or freedom.
Corded Poodles are very showy, and from the remarkable appearance of the coat, attract a great deal of public attention when exhibited at shows; but they have lost popularity among most fanciers, and have become few in number owing to the obvious fact that it is impossible to make pets of them or keep them in the house. The reason of this is that the coat must, from time to time, be oiled in order to keep the cords supple and prevent them from snapping, and, of course, as their coats cannot be brushed, the only way of keeping the dog clean is to wash him, which with a corded Poodle is a lengthy and laborious process. Further, the coat takes hours to dry, and unless the newly washed dog be kept in a warm room he is very liable to catch cold. The result is, that the coats of corded Poodles are almost invariably dirty, and somewhat smelly.
Poodle's General appearance
Head: Long, straight, and fine, the skull not broad, with a slight peak at the back.
Muzzle: Long (but not snipy) and strong not full in cheek; teeth white, strong, and level; gums black, lips black and not showing lippiness.
Eyes: Almond shaped, very dark, full of fire and intelligence.
Nose: Black and sharp.
Ears: The leather long and wide, low set on, hanging close to the face.
Neck: Well proportioned and strong, to admit of the head being carried high and with dignity.
Feet: Rather small, and of good shape, the toes well arched, pads thick and hard.
Legs: Fore-legs set straight from shoulder, with plenty of bone and muscle.
Hind-legs: Very muscular and well bent, with the hocks well let down.
Tail: Set on rather high, well carried, never curled or carried over back.
Coat: Very profuse, and of good hard texture; if corded, hanging in tight, even cords; if non-corded, very thick and strong, of even length, the curls close and thick, without knots or cords.About the Author
Article source: Article-Dashboard.com
More ArticlesStop Your Mixed Breed Dog Whining Problems
Most dogs grow out of whining in the early age around the six-month age. There are a variety of reasons as to why your adult mixed-breed dog might be whining. (more)Dog and Puppy Toilet Training Guide
Dog and Puppy Toilet Training Guide. People have all sorts of ideas on how to toilet train puppy once you get them home. Pretty soon your efforts to toilet train your puppy will pay off big time. (more)Related Articles
- Your Dog Being Alone
- Breed Temperament of Terrier Dogs
- Dog Potty Training - Learn How to Potty Train Your Dog
- New Puppy - Basic Dog Training
- Mammoth Dog Beds - Dogs Love Mammoth Dog Beds
- Rules for Walking Your Dog
- Corneal Ulcer in Dogs
- Information On Vaccinations In Dogs
- Norfolk Terrier Dog as Pet
- House Training Your Dog
- How to Groom Your Hypoallergenic Dog
- Cairn Terrier Pet Dogs Information
- Dogs And Their Different Behavior
- Information On Coccidiosis In Dogs
- Training Terrier Dogs
- Portuguese Water Dogs Are Hypoallergenic
- You Can Give Help to Hypoallergenic Dogs
- Hypoallergenic Dog Food
- Getting a Mobile Trailer for Dog Grooming
- Homemade Dog Food Recipes
- Exercise for Dogs with Arthritis
- Do not Skimp on your Dog Bed
- Buying the Right Dog Food
- Dog Supplies
- Dog Training - A Pro Reveals His Best Methods And Tips
- History of the Dog Fence
- The Special Needs Of A Hypoallergenic Dog
- Tools You Need for Dog Grooming
- Learn about Clicker Training a Dog
- Know about Your Dalmation Dog Breed
- Dog Training Devices
- Mammoth Dog Beds - Dogs Arthritis Pain Eased by Mammoth Dog Beds
- Getting Your Dog Ready for a Show
- Coated Wheaten Terrier Pet Dog
A Mammoth Dog Bed will withstand dog drool, shedding, and dirt, as well as digging. Mammoth Dog Beds have been conducting research for ten years on how to manufacture dog beds that are high quality and durable. (more)Why Are Dog Beds an Important Part of Dog Supplies
Dog beds form quite an important part of dog supplies. With the proper dog bed, a dog will have a comfortable and restful sleep, which will enable it to have a satisfying day full of fun and excitement. (more)How to Choose the Right Bed for your Dog
One of the important things that you need to consider while buying a bed is the way your dog or cat or any other pet sleeps. A dog bed is mostly required for dogs and cats only, although you can buy them for rabbits and some of the other smaller dogs too. (more)How to Find the Right Dog Supplies for Your Pet
If you are like me and have a pet dog, you probably know that it can be confusing to find good quality dog supplies for your pet. If you go into your local pet store in your town or city, often the prices are very high. (more)Train Your Dog to Using a Training Collar
There are many excellent training devices that can be used when training your dog. The most basic piece of equipment that every dog owner should own is a quality training collar. (more)
- The Best Night Dog
- Austin Restaurants that Are a Dog Best Friend
- Pet Care: Dogs
- How to Notice Swelling in Dogs
- Learn about the Foxhound Dog
- Information On Exersise For Different Dog Breeds
- Learn about Dog Bites
- Important Dog Education Advice – The Things To Take Into Account-00-620
- Start Training Your Dog by Winning His Respect and Confidence
- Dog Training for Proper Dog Behavior
- Hypoallergenic Dogs - Non Hypoallergenic Dogs and Hypoallergenic Dogs
- Know The Differences Between Hypoallergenic Dog And Non-Hypoallergenic Dog
- All about Breeding Dogs
- Quality Dog Supplies at Sensible Rates
- The Easy Way to Get Your Dog to Behave
- Use a Guard Dog at Home
- Dog Training Toronto
- Some Rules to Follow While Walking Your Dog
- Classifying Your Dog
- How to Use Positive Methods to Train Dogs