Keeping Your Cat Healthy and Away From the Vet
To keep your cat healthy a majority of time, all you really need to do is give him good shelter, food, and plenty of water. Like other living things however, cats can get sick from time to time no matter what you do.
As a cat owner, you'll want to ensure that you feed your cat only the best. Premium cat food is the ideal for cats, as the food is designed to keep your pet happy and healthy. You'll also need to pay attention to his behavior, so you'll know when he's sick and when to take him to the vet. Most of the more common ailments and sicknesses are minor, although there are some cases where a vet can be the determining factor between life and death for your cat.
Your cat's behavior will be one of the most critical factors when you are trying to determine whether or not he is under the weather. Acting sluggish, laying around all the time, lack of energy and not eating are all signs that you need to take him to the vet immediately. His coat is also a good thing to watch as well. If you notice his coat dull and patchy or notice him shedding abnormally, you should contact your vet as soon as you possibly can.
Diarrhea and vomiting are sometimes common, even with basic sickness. On the other hand, if your cat seems to be doing either one of the two for more than a day, you should contact your veterinarian. Coughing is common as well, simply because coughing will cats dislodge hairballs. If your cat seems to be coughing for another reason, you should have him checked out as soon as possible.
To ensure that your cat isn't subjected to various diseases, you should always make sure that he stays up do date with his vaccinations. There are several diseases out there that require vaccinations, including rabies and feline distemper. Feline distemper is one of most devastating diseases a cat can get, yet it is also one of the easiest to prevent as well. The disease strikes cats very fast, and leaves you as an own very little time to seek treatment.
Feline leukemia is another disease that is very deadly, yet can be prevented early on with the proper vaccinations. Although the disease isn't possible for humans to contract, it can be spread quickly among cats. There are vaccinations that can treat the disease these days, although you'll still want to be careful and not expose other cats around a cat you know has feline leukemia.
Another problem, which is very common with cats that stay outdoors, is worms. Cats that have worms will normally have a lackluster coat and little to no appetite. There are several different types of worms, including ringworm and hookworm. Worms can come from fleas, lice, or even the organs of dead rodents that cats consume. Normally, the cat will digest the eggs which will later mature and attach themselves to the walls of the intestines. If you feed your cat garlic frequently during feedings, it can help to protect him against worms.
If you take care of your cat, chances are you'll keep him healthy for years to come. You should always make sure he has quality food, and doesn't miss any of his scheduled checkups with the vet. If he gets the proper vaccinations when he is required to get them, he should be safe against numerous pests and diseases. Taking the proper steps with your cat now will prevent anything from happening in the future.About the Author
Article source: Article-Dashboard.com
More ArticlesKeeping Your Cat Healthy
To keep your cat healthy a majority of time, all you really need to do is give him good shelter, food, and plenty of water. Like other living things however, cats can get sick from time to time no matter what you do. (more)Keep Your Cat Healthy - Have a Healthy Cat
To keep your cat healthy a majority of time, all you really need to do is give him good shelter, food, and plenty of water. Like other living things however, cats can get sick from time to time no matter what you do. (more)Related Articles
- The Different Kinds of Things to Know about Abused Cats
- Easing the Transition of an Adopted Cat to a New Home
- Cats and How They Have Benefits to Your Kids
- Your Cat and Potty Training
- Preventing Your Cats from Eating Your Garden
- The Wonderful Cats
- An Exotic Pet Cat
- Getting Protection For Your Home From Cats
- You Should Not De-Claw Your Cats
- Cat Health Problems - The Common Different Health Problems for Cat
- The Ocicat and His Food, What You Should Know
- Cats Behavior - The Reason For Your Cat Behavior
- Some Reasons to Get Health Insurance for Your Cat
- Information about Cat Breeds
- A Quick Guide to Choosing Cats
- A Couple of Health Problems with Cats
- Train Your Cat with the Toilet
- Cleaning After Your Cats
- Devices You Can Use to Train Your Cat
- The Many Different Kinds of Cat Whisperer
- Why Cats Make Such Good Pets
- Dealing with Cats and Their Claws
- How to Bathe Your Cats
- Dealing With Cats
- Introduction about Caring for Cats
- Cat Breeds Throughout the World - Top Cat Breeds
- Crate Training Your Cat
- Cat Training Books
- Getting Health Insurance for Your Cat Might Be a Good Idea
- Some Reasons Why You Should Get Insurance for Your Cat
- Need Health Insurance For Cat?
- Choosing a Savannah - Is One Right for You?
- Some Reason To Get Health Insurance For Your Pet Cat
- How to Keep Cats Out Of Your Gardens
If you take heed of your cat, odds are you'll keep him healthy for being to come. You should always make steady he has property food, and doesn't avoid any of his scheduled checkups with the vet. (more)Bonding Between Cat and Their Owners
Anyone who has owned a cat will tell you that cats are great at bonding with people, although they are very particular. Normally, a cat will choose someone in the home that he bonds with. (more)Important Dog Education Advice – The Things To Take Into Account-00-620
Are you aware that your joy for acquiring a new fun mate with the arrival home of your puppy or an adult dog will disappear as soon as you remember that the animal has to be trained in the ways of civilized society, especially if you have no idea how to go about training your dog? If you do not train your puppy it could grow into a nuisance in your home. (more)Domesticate Exotic Pets
Owning an exotic pet really is a big decision. It requires some considerable effort to domesticate the animal and some amount of time until everyone gets fully adjusted. (more)Having Fun Training Your Cat
You may think the cats are very snobbish, independent and liable untrainable to do some tricks, but think again. With the polite training practice and structure, you will engage them in every fun activity you may like especially during playtime. (more)
- Learn About The Cat Whisperer
- Learn How to Give Your Cat a Pill
- Good Treatments for Cats
- How to Keep Your Cat Entertained
- Dealing With Cat Odor
- Cat Allergy - Deal with Cat Allergies
- How To Introduce Your Cat
- What You Need to Know about Breeding Cats
- Have Fun Naming Your Cat
- Factors to Consider when Traveling with Your Cat
- Cats Are Wonderful Pets
- Choosing Wheather if Your Cat Live Indoors or Outdoors
- Aquarium Care and Catfish Care Manual
- Health Problems Your Cat Can Face
- How to Pick a Healthy Iguana
- Your Cat and Her Food
- Do Not Let Your Cat Urinate Around the House
- Why You Need To Use Glucosamines And Chondroitin For Dogs And Cats
- How to Train Your Cat or Kittens for Positive Reinforcements
- How to Anticipate Getting a New Cat