How To Introduce Your Cat
When you decide to add a new cat to your home, it’s normally more exiting for you and your family than it is for the cat you already own. Although most cats are solitary by nature, most will also come to accept or eventually tolerate any additions. Cats can be very territorial, which is why you should always be careful when you introduce a new cat to your current cat.
If you are introducing kittens to one another, the entire introduction process can be short, lasting as little as 10 – 15 days. Introducing cats to each other all depends on their temperament and their personality. When you introduce a new cat to your current cat, you should always make sure that you give your current cat plenty of love and attention. This way, your cat will feel secure and know that he isn’t in competition with your new cat for affection.
When you bring your new cat home, you should let him stay in a safe room until you have finished introducing the cats. Your safe room can be any small room in your home, such as a bathroom or spare bedroom. The key here is to use a room that your current cat doesn’t go in. In the room, you should leave your new cat a scratching post, bed, water dish, litter box, and food dish.
At first, your current cat may howl and hiss when he stands at the door, trying to tell the other cat that he doesn’t belong. When this happens you should ignore it, as punishing your cat for his behavior will only lead to more problems. After a while, the first cat will start to act calm when he is near the new cat’s door. As he starts to act calm, you should pet him and give him praise.
When your first cat starts to go by your new cat’s door and doesn’t howl or hiss; you can start introducing them to each other. The best way to do this is to get them used to each others scent. You can start letting them eat out of the same food dish, although you’ll want to feed them at different intervals at first. This way, the scent of each cat will be present at the food dish, and each cat will get the scent when he eats his food.
Once both cats have got used to the scent, you can begin to feed them closer together. To do this, you should keep your new cat in the safe room with the door closed, and your first cat on the other side of the door with his food dish. This time, feed both cats at the same time. After doing this a few times, they should start eating without any hissing or growling. At this point, they are ready to be introduced to one another.
When you introduce them to each other in the same room, a bit of growling and hissing is to be expected. Although they may be used to each others scent; your first cat will still feel a bit awkward with your new cat being in his territory. You should play with them both at first, so they can smell one another and greet in their own way. If they start to fight you should break them up, and give them some time apart.
It may take some time to get them fully used to one another, although once they do – they will become playmates for life. Cats love to be social, although it may be a bit rough at first, especially for your first cat. Cats can be very territorial, especially if you have a kitten around. If you get both of them used to each other early on – it will be a lot easier to add future cats to your home.About the Author
Article source: Article-Dashboard.com
More ArticlesHow to Introduce Your Cat to Your Home
When you decide to add a new cat to your home, it's normally more exiting for you and your family than it is for the cat you already own. Although most cats are solitary by nature, most will also come to accept or eventually tolerate any additions. (more)Factors to Consider when Traveling with Your Cat
Some cats enjoy traveling where others do not; it really depends on your cat's personality. Traveling can either be and easy or difficult task when you have your cat in tow. (more)Related Articles
- About The Cat Whisperer
- About Cat Breeds
- Different Kinds of Littering for Cats
- Why Do Cats Use A Scratch Post
- Give Your Cat The Proper Care They Deserve
- How to Cure the Different Kinds of Cat Breath
- Cats Food - Which Is the Best Cat Food?
- Finding a Name That Is Right for Your Cat
- Information On The Most Common Cat behaviors
- How to Train Your Cat or Kittens for Positive Reinforcements
- A Quick Guide to Choosing Cats
- Aquarium Care and Catfish Care Manual
- You Should Not De-Claw Your Cats
- Caring For Your Cats
- About Breeding Cats
- Why the Cat Is a Cool Breeds
- Need Health Insurance For Cat?
- Important Dog Education Advice – The Things To Take Into Account-00-620
- What You Need to Know about Breeding Cats
- The Different Kinds of Domestic Cat Breeds
- Bring Your Cats Everywhere
- Ways To Keep Your Cat Healthy
- Different Kinds of Cat Whisperer
- Good Treatments for Cats
- Catfish Care
- The Wonderful Cats
- Have Fun Naming Your Cat
- A Couple Of Facts About Cats
- Keeping Your Cat Healthy and Away From the Vet
- Getting Protection For Your Home From Cats
- A Couple of Caution for Cat Owners
- What to Do if You Have a Persian Cat
- Learn about Grooming Your Cats
- The Different Kinds of Things to Know about Abused Cats
Do you walk through the pet store, see the many toys available for your cat, and wonder if the expense will be worth it? Cats can be fickle creatures, but a good time can be found with almost any toy. (more)Devices You Can Use to Train Your Cat
It is given that the cat is an adorable and endearing pet. Nevertheless if it starts to disorder the house with all its litter, then it starts to nark the heck out of a vendor. What to do? Of course, cat education campaign are there to solve this trouble. (more)Different Cats Have Different Training Tips
There are many cat breeds presented and one should do some inquiries on the actions of each kind before receiving any as a pet. Cats in general are not like dogs who want to satisfy the landlord. (more)Your Cat and Her Food
Cats can be quite finicky when it comes to food but at the same time you need to choose your cat supplies in such a way that she gets maximum nutrition out of it and loves it too. (more)How to Take Care of Your Cats
These days, cats are among the most popular pet you can own. There are several breeds available, with the most popular being Persian and Siamese. Cats are a domesticated animal, with origins dating back some 8,000 years and beyond. Like any other pet that you may own, including dogs, cats cost money to take care of properly. (more)
- Reasons to Get Health Insurance for Pet Cat
- Dealing With Cat Odor
- The Different Kinds Of Heartworm Treatment For Cats
- Get Health Insurance for Your Cat
- Cats Are Wonderful Pets
- Keeping Your Cat Healthy
- How to Anticipate Getting a New Cat
- Let Us Find a Good Leash for Your Cat
- Dealing With Cats
- Train Your Cat with the Toilet
- Information about Cat Breeding
- Things You Should Know About Cat Food
- Before Breeding Cats
- Do Not Just Walk Your Dog, Walk Your Cat
- What You Should Know about Ocicat and His Food
- Bonding Between Cat and Their Owners
- How to Bathe Your Cats
- How to Keep Your Cat Safe in Warm Months
- Having Fun Training Your Cat
- Hybrid Cats Represent Fashion at a High Price