Pet and animal games online - play free pet games.
Exotic pets for sale - sell / buy exotic pets online.
How to Introduce Your Cat to Your Home
When you decide to add a new cat to your home, it's normally more exiting for you and your family than it is for the cat you already own. Although most cats are solitary by nature, most will also come to accept or eventually tolerate any additions. Cats can be very territorial, which is why you should always be careful when you introduce a new cat to your current cat.
If you are introducing kittens to one another, the entire introduction process can be short, lasting as little as 10 - 15 days. Introducing cats to each other all depends on their temperament and their personality. When you introduce a new cat to your current cat, you should always make sure that you give your current cat plenty of love and attention. This way, your cat will feel secure and know that he isn't in competition with your new cat for affection.
When you bring your new cat home, you should let him stay in a safe room until you have finished introducing the cats. Your safe room can be any small room in your home, such as a bathroom or spare bedroom. The key here is to use a room that your current cat doesn't go in. In the room, you should leave your new cat a scratching post, bed, water dish, litter box, and food dish.
At first, your current cat may howl and hiss when he stands at the door, trying to tell the other cat that he doesn't belong. When this happens you should ignore it, as punishing your cat for his behavior will only lead to more problems. After a while, the first cat will start to act calm when he is near the new cat's door. As he starts to act calm, you should pet him and give him praise.
When your first cat starts to go by your new cat's door and doesn't howl or hiss; you can start introducing them to each other. The best way to do this is to get them used to each others scent. You can start letting them eat out of the same food dish, although you'll want to feed them at different intervals at first. This way, the scent of each cat will be present at the food dish, and each cat will get the scent when he eats his food.
Once both cats have got used to the scent, you can begin to feed them closer together. To do this, you should keep your new cat in the safe room with the door closed, and your first cat on the other side of the door with his food dish. This time, feed both cats at the same time. After doing this a few times, they should start eating without any hissing or growling. At this point, they are ready to be introduced to one another.
When you introduce them to each other in the same room, a bit of growling and hissing is to be expected. Although they may be used to each others scent; your first cat will still feel a bit awkward with your new cat being in his territory. You should play with them both at first, so they can smell one another and greet in their own way. If they start to fight you should break them up, and give them some time apart.
It may take some time to get them fully used to one another, although once they do - they will become playmates for life. Cats love to be social, although it may be a bit rough at first, especially for your first cat. Cats can be very territorial, especially if you have a kitten around. If you get both of them used to each other early on - it will be a lot easier to add future cats to your home.About the Author
Article source: Article-Dashboard.com
More ArticlesTransition of an Adopted Cat to a New Home
Adopting a cat is a big decision. There are some things you need to be aware of when you are ready to bring your adopted cat home. (more)Having Cats and Dogs At Home
The saying "fighting like cats and dogs" didn't come up as superstar's idea of a hoax just for cartoons (Tom and Jerry comes into brains). Dogs are regularly territorial and will combat not just new cats but other new dogs as well. (more)Related Articles
- About Catfish
- Learn How to Take Care of a Persian Cat
- How to Anticipate Getting a New Cat
- First Aid Kit for Your Four Legged Friends
- Getting Health Insurance for Your Cat Might Be a Good Idea
- Cleaning After Your Cats
- How to Keep Cats Out Of Your Gardens
- Cats Can Have Diabetes
- All about Feeding Your Cat
- Cats and Their Litter Box
- About Breeding Cats - What You Need to Know about Breeding Cats
- Learn about Abused Cats
- Why the Cat Is a Cool Breeds
- You Should Not De-Claw Your Cats
- A Little Introduction to Cats
- Why Do Cats Use A Scratch Post
- Why You Need To Use Glucosamines And Chondroitin For Dogs And Cats
- Information about Cat Breeding
- Cats Are Wonderful Pets
- Factors to Consider when Traveling with Your Cat
- Train Your Cat with the Toilet
- Information on Disciplining Your Cat
- Finding the Right Cat Litter Box
- Cat Training Tools
- Cats Bad Breath - Cats Health Care
- Introduction about Caring for Cats
- Get a Training Collar for Your Cat
- Give Your Cat The Proper Care They Deserve
- Different Cats Have Different Training Tips
- Skin Disease In Cats
- The Common Different Health Problems for Cat
- Not Just Walk Your Dog, Walk Your Cat
- Choosing a Savannah Cat - Is One Right for You?
- Cat Toys - Cats and Their Toys
The first thing a cat owner should know about home décor is to keep it simple. Cats are completely convinced that they are in charge, that the house and its possessions belong to them, and that they have every right to break rip or shred anything they like. Even a well trained cat (a possible oxymoron) will (more)How To Introduce Your Cat
If you are introducing kittens to one another, the entire introduction process can be short, lasting as little as 10 – 15 days. Introducing cats to each other all depends on their temperament and their personality. (more)Caring For The Older Cat
Even though cats are animals, they require nutritious and wholesome food, which you can buy from the local pet supermarket or pet supplies online stores. The important thing is that a lot of care needs to be taken as far as the health of your cat is concerned because as they grow older, they are prone to various ailments. (more)Cat Breeds - Different Kinds of Domestic Cat Breeds
Have you always wanted a cat, but heard some breeds make better pets than others? Maybe you have always wanted a cat, but do not know anything about them? The Persian cat breed is one of the oldest cats .. (more)Learn How to Take Care of Your Cats
These days, cats are among the most popular pet you can own. There are several breeds available, with the most popular being Persian and Siamese. Cats are a domesticated animal, with origins dating back some 8,000 years and beyond. Like any other pet that you may own, including dogs, cats cost money to take care of properly. (more)
- Keeping Your Cat Healthy
- Cats Need Walking Also
- What You Need To Know Before Breeding Your Cats
- Bonding Between Cat and Their Owners
- Setting Up Iguana Home
- How To Keep Your Cat Healthy
- Some Reasons to Get Health Insurance for Your Cat
- Homemade Dog Food Recipes
- Keeping a Reptile at Home
- Preventing Your Cats from Eating Your Garden
- Cats And Their Claws
- Reasons to Get Health Insurance for Pet Cat
- The Temperature in Iguana Home
- Hybrid Cats Represent Fashion at a High Price
- Aquarium Care and Catfish Care Manual
- Find Out If You Need Health Insurance For Your Cat
- All About Grooming Your Cats
- How to Cure the Different Kinds of Cat Breath
- Things You Should Know About Cat Food
- Abused Cats