How to Give a Pill to Your Cat
Giving a cat a pill can be a nightmare. No cat wants something shoved down his throat, and he will fight you tooth and nail to prevent it. Although most cats are small in size, you'd be quite amazed with how much power they actually have. There are ways that you can get your cat to take his pills, which we will cover below.
The easiest way to give a cat pill is to crush the power into a powdery form by putting it between two spoons. Once the pill is powder, mix it in with some wet cat food. Cats that are used to eating dry cat food will see the wet food and think of it as a treat. They will normally eat it up, unaware that they just took their medicine.
If the medicine happens to be in capsule form, all you have to do is pry the capsule apart then sprinkle the medicine on some wet food and serve it to your pet. If the food also contains the pill or if your pet is sick, chances are he won't eat it. In this event, you should look into a pet piller. You can get these handy devices from your veterinarian. They are plastic rods that hold the pill until you press a plunger. When you get one, you should always get a long one with a softer tip.
When you get your gun, your vet should show you how to use it. The most difficult aspect of using the gun is getting your cat to open his mouth. The gun will more or less shoot the pill in the cat's mouth, and down his throat. You'll need to hold him tight, to make sure that he doesn't wiggle his way loose. Once you have his mouth open, you'll need to squeeze the trigger and pull the gun away quickly. After the pill has been inserted, make sure you give your cat a treat.
If you aren't comfortable using the gun, you can always try giving your cat his pills by hand. To do it this way, you'll need to hold your cat still, and open his mouth with your hand. Once you have his mouth open, you should aim for the back of his throat and throw the pill in. Once it is in his mouth, you should close his mouth with your hand and hold it shut for a few moments. This way, your cat will swallow the pill if he hasn't already.
If you can't get any of the above techniques to work, you can always go to a local pharmacy and get them to a make flavored gel or liquid using your cats medication. You should use this as a last resort though, as it can tend to get expensive.About the Author
Article source: Article-Dashboard.com
More ArticlesHow to Give Your Cat a Pill
Giving a cat a pill can be a nightmare. No cat needs something shoved down his throat, and he will battle you incisor and nail to avoid it. (more)Clearning Your Cat Litter Box
Cats are very intelligent, instinctively knowing how they should use the litter box. After the cat has finished using the litter box, someone in the family will need to scoop the waste from the litter box. (more)Related Articles
- Having Cats and Dogs At Home
- Need Health Insurance For Cat?
- All about Siamese Cats
- Cats Health Problems
- The Different Kinds of Littering for Cats
- Different Kinds of Toys Cat Will Play With
- Cats Food - Which Is the Best Cat Food?
- Caring For Your Cats
- Learn How to Take Care of a Persian Cat
- Cats and How They Have Benefits to Your Kids
- Choosing a Savannah Cat - Is One Right for You?
- Cat Allergy - Deal with Cat Allergies
- Train Your Cat or Kittens for Positive Reinforcements
- Learn about Abused Cats
- Keeping Your Cats Happy And Loving
- Cats and Their Toys
- Cat Skin Disease
- The Different Kinds of Things to Know about Abused Cats
- Cats Bad Breath - Cats Health Care
- Devices You Can Use to Train Your Cat
- Why the Cat Is a Cool Breeds
- The Common Different Health Problems for Cat
- Cats Are Wonderful Pets
- Dealing With Cats
- What You Should Know about Ocicat and His Food
- Good Treatments for Cats
- All about Feeding Your Cat
- How to Manage Catfish
- All About Grooming Your Cats
- Top Cat Breeds
- Why Get Insurance for a Cat Pet?
- Why Do Cats Use A Scratch Post
- The Art of Cat Training
- Getting A Bed For Your Cat
Cats are curious and some love to chew on things, especially what they are not supposed to be chewing on. For this reason it is very important to cat proof your house. Part of cat proofing involves keeping electrical cords out of reach of your cat because they will invariably end up chewing on them. (more)Learn about Cat Health
Just like humans, cats feel miserable when they are sick. As a pet possessor, it is your core responsibility to keep your slinky contacts wholesome and ecstatic. (more)Amazing Cats
There's no mistaken the fact that cats are great to own. You can get a kitten from a reputable breeder, through a local newspaper, or an adoption agency. Cats can also be obtained from a local pound.. (more)Cats And Their Claws
Cats use their claws for numerous purposes. The claws are important to cats, as they are a critical part of balancing. If you've ever noticed a cat jumping and latching onto a high target, you've maybe noticed that he uses his claws to twitch himself up. (more)Your Cat and Potty Training
Cats are neat animals. They are also intelligent enough to be educated. Given those characteristics, it will be very cool for owners to explain their pets. Here are some tips to handbook owners in education their cats to use litter boxes. (more)
- Why You Need To Use Glucosamines And Chondroitin For Dogs And Cats
- The Different Kinds of Meaning for Cat Behaviors
- Preventing Your Cats from Eating Your Garden
- How To Stop Your Cat From Urinating Everywhere
- Cat Breeds - Different Kinds of Domestic Cat Breeds
- Get Health Insurance for Your Cat Before It Is Too Late
- Cats Need Walking Also
- Getting Protection For Your Home From Cats
- Information on Disciplining Your Cat
- Dealing with Cats and Their Claws
- Domesticate Exotic Pets
- Hybrid Cats Represent Fashion at a High Price
- Cat Igloos are the Perfect Cat Beds for Winter
- Reading about Cat Training Books
- Health Problems Your Cat Can Face
- How to Keep Your Cat Entertained
- Cat Breeds - Learn About Different Cat Breeds
- Cleaning After Your Cats
- How To Keep Your Cat Healthy
- Do You Need Health Insurance For Your Cat