How to Anticipate Getting a New Cat
You might have heard your friends or family talk about baby proofing their home when their child began to be mobile, if you plan on getting a kitten you will find yourself doing the same thing. A kitten is in essence a baby, but of the feline persuasion, as such they are just as curious as any other type of baby. You need to take the time and look at your home from a kitten's perspective, find possible hazardous items, and remove them accordingly.
You aren't going to be able to anticipate everything, but it is quite advantageous to the health and well being of your kitten to take some precautions.
• Kittens can be quite clumsy, make sure that all of your windows are secured and keep your kitten off of anything high such as a second story house walk out.
• Move all cleaners and anything else harmful in an area that your kitten can not access. This goes for any harmful plants as well, just as with a baby, kittens will chew on whatever is handy such as a plant.
• After you use the restroom, close the toilet lid. This is a handy piece of advice if you have kittens or small children in the home.
• Don't leave plastic materials such as trash bags or plastic storage bags lying around, again helpful for kittens and children.
• After you have finished your six pack of beer or soda, cut up the plastic ring containers so that your cat doesn't get caught up in them. This is also an environmentally kind thing to do so other animals don't share a bad fate.
• Anything electric, sharp, or pointy needs to be responsibly stores so your kitten doesn't decide to make a dangerous object its next chew toy.
If you have children or other animals in the house you will need to make sure that your kitten is introduced to them slowly and properly. Older children are not as much of a concern as small children are. You need to make sure that they understand the proper way to treat their new kitten. You need to teach them how to hold it properly and not to pull on its legs, face, tail, or ears. Young children must learn that the kitten is a living thing that they need to treat with love, care, and respect. You can help you kitten feel a little safer by getting down to his or her level when it comes to play time. This will make you not seem quite so huge and scary to the kitten.
You also need to pay close attention how other pets in the house treat the new kitten. It is not a good idea to simply leave a new kitten with an older cat or dog. Take the time to introduce them to one another while being attentive to their reactions to each other. Normally older cats will be tolerant of the new kitten and even tend to it after they are comfortable with one another.
Dogs may take a little longer to get used to the situation of a new kitten in the house. Just remember to be patient and to make sure your other animals in the house gets the love and attention that they need, make them feel just as special as the new kitten. Below are a few tips that might help you with this process.
• Don't rush your animals to get along, take it slow and easy.
• It might be wise to keep the kitten in its carrier for the first little bit while the others animals can sniff around it without making direct contact with the kitten.
• Get a new toy and put the kittens scent on it, and vice versa with the older cats or dogs, then give it to the opposite parties so they can become accustomed to the scent.
After doing some of these steps for a while, everyone should begin to get along with little disturbance in the house.About the Author
Article source: Article-Dashboard.com
More ArticlesEasing the Transition of an Adopted Cat to a New Home
Adopting a cat is a big decision. There are some things you need to be aware of when you are ready to bring your adopted cat home. (more)Dealing With Cats
Cats in common are loveable creatures. However, it is likely that some of them get on the bad piece of the household. Thus, it is vital to address the spot when the cats are the unruly. (more)Related Articles
- Getting Health Insurance for Your Cat Might Be a Good Idea
- Bonding Between Cat and Their Owners
- Preventing Cats from Eating Your Garden
- Different Kinds of Littering for Cats
- About Cat Health
- How to Cure the Different Kinds of Cat Breath
- Getting A Bed For Your Cat
- Do Not Let Your Cat Urinate Around the House
- How to Train Your Cat or Kittens for Positive Reinforcements
- Different Kinds Of Heartworm Treatment For Cats
- Cats And Their Claws
- Health Problems Your Cat Can Face
- Things You Should Know About Cat Food
- All about Feeding Your Cat
- How to Keep Your Cat Healthy
- Cats Are Wonderful Pets
- Cat Toys - Cats and Their Toys
- About Breeding Cats
- The Common Different Health Problems for Cat
- What You Need to Know about Breeding Cats
- Learn about Grooming Your Cats
- Cat Breeds Throughout the World - Top Cat Breeds
- Having Fun Training Your Cat
- Your Cats and Their Litter Box
- Get a Training Collar for Your Cat
- How to Take Care of Cats
- A Couple of Caution for Cat Owners
- Do Not Just Walk Your Dog, Walk Your Cat
- Do You Need Health Insurance For Your Cat
- Devices You Can Use to Train Your Cat
- Cats and Their Scratch Post
- Which Is the Best Cat Food
- The Wonderful Cats
- Choosing a Savannah - Is One Right for You?
Feral cats are different from stray cats. If you want to attempt to tame a feral cat, remember that it can be hard work reaching out to the feral cat and getting them to trust you after being on their own. (more)Grooming Your Cats
No cat wants to be dirty, and it's up to you to ensure that your cat stays clean. Some cats that have started grooming when they were kittens grow to love it, many of which often look forward to their grooming time. (more)The Ocicat and His Food, What You Should Know
The ocicat and his food. The Ocicat is one of the most magnificent spotted cat breeds that has the capability to steal any show not only with shear beauty but brains as well. (more)You Should Not De-Claw Your Cats
Cats use their claws for various purposes. The claws are important to cats, as they are an essential part of balancing. If you've ever noticed a cat jumping and latching on to a high object, you've probably noticed that he uses his claws to pull himself up. (more)About Catfish
Coming from Trinidad and South America are the Mail and Armored Catfish. These catfish are well respected even by larger fish. The catfish have partly covered bony plates.. (more)
- A Couple Of Facts About Cats
- Factors Affecting The Health Of Cats
- Cats Can Have Diabetes
- An Exotic Pet Cat
- Learn How to Manage Catfish
- Cats Can Have Bad Breath, Learn Ways to Deal with It
- Keeping Your Cats Happy And Loving
- Need Health Insurance For Cat?
- Before Breeding Cats
- How to Keep Cats Out Of Your Gardens
- Learn About Different Cat Breeds
- Dealing with Cats and Their Claws
- Your Cat and Potty Training
- Ways To Keep Your Cat Healthy
- How To Stop Your Cat From Urinating Everywhere
- Learn How to Take Care of Your Cats
- Information On The Most Common Cat behaviors
- Basic Dog Training of a New Puppy
- New Social Network a Hit with Pet Owners
- Puppy Potty - Training Tips for the New Puppy Owner