All about Feeding Your Cat
Cats are very similar to people in many ways. Just as it is important to watch what is going into you cats tummy, you also need to keep an eye on how much is going into your cat's tummy. When people eat too much food, over time they become overweight.
Cats are the same, if they become used to eating however much they want, when they want, it is a sure bet that you will have a pretty fat cat on your hands after a while. This is especially true as your cat gets older and less active. If you aren't sure if your cat is fat or not, there are a few telling signs that you can look for that are pretty similar as to when you can tell if a person is overweight.
• A double chin is always a telling sign of a weight problem. If you find that your cat has a bunch of fat underneath their chin, they might have a weight problem.
• A big stomach is another sign, if their stomach is hanging, they might have a weight problem
• Another is whether or not you can feel your cat's ribs. On a healthy cat you should be able to feel their rib cage, if you cannot feel your cat's rib cage then you cat is definitely overweight.
Just as people think that their weight might not be a big deal, many cat owners might not feel it too distressing that their cat is a little overweight. The reality is that being overweight can cause many health problems in your cat. The more weight your cat has on their body, the more weight and pressure they have to carry around on a daily basis. This is why it is so important to pay attention to what and how much your cat is eating. If you do find that your cat is overweight you should probably speak to your veterinarian about it and look into buying a specially formulated cat food for overweight cats.
Whether you have an overweight cat or not, it's important to make sure that your cat gets the exercise they need. If you can't isn't overweight then the exercise will help keep them active and avoid such a predicament, but if your cat is overweight then the exercise will help them to trim off a few pounds.
The great thing is that exercising with your cat doesn't have to be a tedious activity; it can be a lot of fun. Below are a few ideas that will help you get an exercise program started with your cat.
• Try to get your cat to run around some • Take a walk with your cat • Get your cat some new toys that will encourage him to exercise and jump around • Strategically place toys and treats all around the house to encourage your cat to walk around • Switch up the games that you play with your cat so he doesn't get bored • Even if you are away for the day, leave approved toys out for your cat to play with. • Also, it sometimes helps your cat's activity level if they have another feline companion to play with while you are away
Just because you like to switch your food around because something was cheaper at the store, or a new product looked better, doesn't mean that you cat should jump around from one cat food to another. Pets are funny this way, once they become used to a certain type of food, switching to another brand because it was on sale doesn't always agree with their stomachs.
If it happens that you want to switch your cat's food then you need to do it slowly. Do not just decide to replace cat food A with cat food B the next day, if so you might find you have a cat with a very upset stomach. In order to switch your cat's food without all of the digestion trouble you will need to put just a bit more into each meal, this process can take a few weeks before the switch is complete.
Trying to Feed Your Kitten
Dealing with a kitten is completely different that feed a grown cat. A kitten is essentially a baby in every way and needs the right amount of nutrition in order to go from being a kitten to a healthy grown cat. Kittens are just like babies in that they need to eat right in order to have strong bones, muscles, and nervous system. You can't feed a kitten the same things that a full grown cat eats; they need their own special food until they are old enough to move onto the next step.
It's always smart to consult with your doctor before you start a regular feeding routine for your kitten, but you do need to recognize that because they have such high energy, they need the proper food to fuel their bodies. You will find that your kitten will nibble throughout the day because they have smaller stomach than a full grown cat.
Just as with human babies, there are going to be times that your kitten doesn't seem particularly interested in food such as when they are teething or have lost a baby tooth. In the same instance your kitten may eat a little more during growth spurts and such. Even when you kitten begins to look and act like an adult cat, don't rush out and buy adult cat food, they need to stick with the kitten cat food until they are a year old because of their need for a lot of calories.
There might also come instances that you need to consult with your veterinarian about your cat's food needs such as if your female feline becomes pregnant or if you cat has health problems that are related to what they eat.About the Author
Article source: Article-Dashboard.com
More ArticlesLearn How to Take Care of a Persian Cat
These days, Persian cats are among the most popular breeds of cat. Well known for their gentle and sweet personalities and their long hair, Persian cats have very attractive features. (more)Get Health Insurance for Your Cat Before It Is Too Late
Cats are curious creatures. One small they want to be petted and stroked, the next they are pleasing a thump at your hand and acting like you are shared enemy number one. (more)Related Articles
- Having Cats and Dogs At Home
- Getting Health Insurance for Your Cat Might Be a Good Idea
- The Different Kinds of Littering for Cats
- Dealing With Cats
- A Couple Of Facts About Cats
- Guide to Grooming Your Cat
- How To Introduce Your Cat
- Cat Toys - Cats and Their Toys
- Reading about Cat Training Books
- How to Keep Your Cat Safe in Warm Months
- How Feral Cats Can Be Tamed
- The Reason For Your Cat Behavior
- Choosing Wheather if Your Cat Live Indoors or Outdoors
- Do Not Let Your Cat Urinate Around the House
- The Different Kinds of Toys Cat Will Play With
- Get a Training Collar for Your Cat
- A Quick Guide to Choosing Cats
- How to Introduce Your Cat to Your Home
- Things You Should Know About Cat Food
- Introduction about Caring for Cats
- Cats And Their Claws
- Different Kinds Of Heartworm Treatment For Cats
- Some Tips to Train Your Cat with the Toilet
- Bonding Between Cat and Their Owners
- You Should Not De-Claw Your Cats
- The Art of Cat Training
- How to Train Your Cat or Kittens for Positive Reinforcements
- A Couple of Caution for Cat Owners
- Your Cat and Her Food
- How to Cure the Different Kinds of Cat Breath
- Let Us Find a Good Leash for Your Cat
- How to Keep Your Cat Entertained
- Learn about Grooming Your Cats
- Give Your Cat The Proper Care They Deserve
To keep your cat healthy a majority of time, all you really need to do is give him good shelter, food, and plenty of water. Like other living things however, cats can get sick from time to time no matter what you do. (more)Having Fun Training Your Cat
You may think the cats are very snobbish, independent and liable untrainable to do some tricks, but think again. With the polite training practice and structure, you will engage them in every fun activity you may like especially during playtime. (more)Devices You Can Use to Train Your Cat
It is given that the cat is an adorable and endearing pet. Nevertheless if it starts to disorder the house with all its litter, then it starts to nark the heck out of a vendor. What to do? Of course, cat education campaign are there to solve this trouble. (more)Your Cat and Potty Training
Cats are neat animals. They are also intelligent enough to be educated. Given those characteristics, it will be very cool for owners to explain their pets. Here are some tips to handbook owners in education their cats to use litter boxes. (more)About the Siamese Cat
The exotic and fairly mysterious Siamese cat hail from the country of Thailand. They had forever been a common breed of cats, some even residing in majestic palaces. (more)
- Factors to Consider when Traveling with Your Cat
- Cat Health Problems - The Common Different Health Problems for Cat
- Dealing With Cat Odor
- Grooming Your Cats
- Learn about Abused Cats
- A Little Introduction to Cats
- Getting Protection For Your Home From Cats
- Cats Bad Breath - Cats Health Care
- What to Do if You Have a Persian Cat
- How to Manage Catfish
- Cats Food - Which Is the Best Cat Food?
- Caring For Catfish
- Exotic Pet Cat
- Bring Your Cats Everywhere
- The Wonderful Cats
- Preventing Your Cats from Eating Your Garden
- Health Problems Your Cat Can Face
- Domesticate Exotic Pets
- Cat Breeds - Learn About Different Cat Breeds
- Cat Training - Crate Training Your Cat